by James_Minety Investigator
Investigator

WARNING - You can be charged for data even though roaming turned off

I have just returned from New Zealand, I turned off roaming but had the EE Travel Pass switched on in case of emergencies, but with roaming off I thought no charges would be incurred. It seems that mobile data can be triggerred in the background unless you also turn the mobile data switch off. Checking the settings on the phone I can see that mobile data was used during the 4 weeks I was away, although in total only 100Mb was used but this triggerred 26 daily travel pass charges at £6 each!.
If you don't need mobile data and will only use WiFi I suggest you ensure mobile data is turned off as well as roaming and cancel the Travel Pass before you go.
Hope this helps

4 REPLIES 4
Investigator

Re: im abroad and switched my data roaming off but not mobile data wil i be char

Bad news I'm afraid at least if you also have a Nokia 6.
I have just returned from New Zealand, I turned off roaming but had the EE Travel Pass switched on in case of emergencies, but with roaming off I thought no charges would be incurred. It seems that mobile data can be triggerred in the background unless you also turn the mobile data switch off. Checking the settings on the phone I can see that mobile data was used during the 4 weeks I was away, although in total only 100Mb was used but this triggerred 26 daily travel pass charges at £6 each!.
If you don't need mobile data and will only use WiFi I suggest you ensure mobile data is turned off as well as roaming and cancel the Travel Pass before you go.
Hope this helps

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: im abroad and switched my data roaming off but not mobile data wil i be char

@James_Minety   Unless time travel is possible I don’t think your post will help as this was posted in 2016. 

Investigator

Thanks Chris.

Perhaps I should have created a new posting.
Just wanted to alert other users of the Travel Pack and Nokia 6 phone.

Regards

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@James_Minety : I've done it for you.

I'm sure I saw other posts under your nick or close to it yesterday, but can't find them now.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.