by pinglemonster Investigator
Investigator

Using my phone abroad with travel add on data

Hello,

This question may make me sound I am 100 yrs old. Could anyone help please. I am on EE pay monthly plan and I need to take my phone to China and really need to go online the first day I am there. I know I could text TRAVEL etc to set it up to use. But there are still things I am not sure about.

Which exact settings should I go for when I want to use my data? Airplane Mode off first right? And...It is switch on ''Mobile Data'' --Mobile Data options? --Enable 4G with Voice & Data or Data only? Do I need to check ''Carrier''? or leave it on for checking network automatically?

Is there anything else to pay attention to using add on data abroad?

I never used roaming abroad before, really confuses me.

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Using my phone abroad with travel add on data

If you are on contract, remember to text ROAMING to 150 before you leave to check roaming is enabled on your account.

For charges & add-ons there see https://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/call-or-going-abroad/roaming-costs/countries/china .

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @pinglemonster

Welcome to the community. 

Yes your right, aero plane mode needs to switched off and mobile data active to begin to use your services.

What kind of handset are you using?

I can also see @XRaySpeX has provided great information regarding roaming in China and what add-ons are available. 

I hope you have an amazing trip, 

Katie 🙂

Investigator

Hi, Katie ,

Thank you for your reply. I have Iphone6s. 

The reason I asked here was I remembered last time I turn the data roaming on, the Chinese network symbol came alone on the top. I am not sure how EE works over there, dont want to be charged lots when I am back. But thank you for your advice. I guess I can leave the data romaing option with data only then?

Thank you

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @pinglemonster

You will connect to a local network whilst in China, this is nothing to be concerned about. 

Your data will not work if a pass has not been purchased for the destination your visiting, please be assured if you need any further advice whilst abroad you can come back to the community for support. 

Katie 🙂

Investigator

Thank you,

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Worth remembering the pass runs from midnight UK time, so best to check when you start it that it's not approaching midnight in the UK.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions