by DaGeek Investigator
Investigator

Using VoWiFi with a VPN

1. 4GEE Max plans offer inclusive roaming in 53 destinations. From any of these destinations, assuming I have a good enough WiFi connection, could I use VoWiFi for calls and texts?
  2. In the scenario above, would I be charged as if the call (or text) was made over a mobile network? As we all know, calls and texts to any of the 53 destinations (plus the UK) are included.
  3. Now let's assume responses to both questions above are positive and I have access to a WiFi network with an IP address from one the 53 destination (either directly or via a VPN). If I force VoWiFi usage (by turning on airplane mode and turning WiFi back on), could I benefit from inclusive roaming rates?

My idea is to use a VPN when I am in the UK (or in a destination other than the 53) to benefit from inclusive calls and texts.

7 REPLIES 7
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: Using VoWiFi with a VPN

EE WiFi calling doesn't work with a VPN unfortunately.  EE have designed it in such a way in order to avoid what you are trying to do with it.

EE WiFi calling works in the UK only.

by DaGeek Investigator
Investigator

@Profile closed wrote:

EE WiFi calling doesn't work with a VPN unfortunately.

Well, in my own experience It does. I am currently in the UK connected to a VPN with a US IP addresss and I have access to VoWiFi. VPN is setup on my router.

It would be difficult to enforce anyway.

EE have designed it in such a way in order to avoid what you are trying to do with it.

If mobile data is off (in airplane mode), how would they know where I am? One could use a mock location app.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@DaGeek. Only one true way to find out, go abroad and see if it works or not and if it does great and if not never mind. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@DaGeek wrote:

@Profile closed wrote:

Well, in my own experience It does. I am currently in the UK connected to a VPN with a US IP addresss and I have access to VoWiFi. VPN is setup on my router.

EE have designed it in such a way in order to avoid what you are trying to do with it.

If mobile data is off (in airplane mode), how would they know where I am? One could use a mock location app.

@DaGeek

Have you tried the VPN on your phone via a US IP rather than via your router?

@Profile closed travels more than me so I would take his steer on the US, but I can say that I used VOWIFI just fine without a VPN in Barcelona last year. It also worked in Germany earlier this year. I also use a VPN but haven't tried VOWIFI via vpn.

Wouldn't your Router VPN only activate when you are browsing? Also you might have a DNS leak that is why its connecting!

Just on your initial post I don't see why you would want to use VOWIFI when abroad given the tariff, it surly comes with a large data package and unlimited calls/txt when abroad (within the allowed locations).

Thanks,

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Profile closed
Not applicable

There are various unknown/undisclosed checks in place within EE's core network to prevent people from using VoWiFi whilst roaming, such as geo-location checks, HLR and VLR checks etc.  There are probably other checks in place too.

It's the same sort of checks that are in place to prevent people from using signal boxes abroad as well.

WiFi calling does work when you are based in the UK even when using a VPN or using a foreign IP address.  I can use WiFi calling at work here with our corporate wireless network even though our data centres are based outside the UK and always give me a non-UK based IP address/geo-location.

by DaGeek Investigator
Investigator

@Northerner wrote:

@DaGeek wrote:

@Profile closed wrote:

@DaGeek

Have you tried the VPN on your phone via a US IP rather than via your router?

No. But I'll report if results are different.

@Profile closed travels more than me so I would take his steer on the US, but I can say that I used VOWIFI just fine without a VPN in Barcelona last year. It also worked in Germany earlier this year.

Thanks. Unless something has changed since last year, it means that VoWiFi is not blocked in these destinations.

I also use a VPN but haven't tried VOWIFI via vpn.

Wouldn't your Router VPN only activate when you are browsing? Also you might have a DNS leak that is why its connecting!

VPN on router is continuously on. No DNS leak, AFAIK.

Just on your initial post I don't see why you would want to use VOWIFI when abroad given the tariff, it surly comes with a large data package and unlimited calls/txt when abroad (within the allowed locations).

Two use cases:

1. When abroad outside the 53 destinations
  2. Pretend to be abroad when in the UK to benefit from roaming when calling/texting one of the 53 

Thanks,

by DaGeek Investigator
Investigator

Status so far:

• We have two different opinions (from @Profile closed and @Northerner) on whether VoWiFi works when abroad. I will check next time I travel but perhaps someone can report on their experience in the meantime.
  • The call I made (to a foreign number) on VoWiFi using a US VPN within the UK was rated as if made from a UK mobile network.

It would seem that VoWiFi calls are not rated based on the IP of the user. Assuming VoWiFi roaming works, and in the absence of a mobile connection, I do not know whether EE knows (or guesses) your actual location or whether VoWiFi calls are deemed to be made from within the UK.

In both cases, trying to benefit from free roaming by forcing VoWiFi with a VPN from the UK is a useless strategy.

If calls are deemed to be made from within the UK, unexpected charges are to be expected.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.