by freddyk Contributor
Contributor

Unable to log in to US website with 4g

I am in the USA. When I try to access an https website here I get an SSL error message when I use 4g or 3G. I’m able to access the same website using Wi-Fi without any problem. Is there any fix for this?  The same problem occurs with my wife’s iPhone. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by freddyk Contributor
Contributor
Solution

Re: Unable to log in to US website with 4g

I’m on a Max plan that includes data in the US.  I’ve discovered that the website in question blocks non-US IP addresses.  When i am on WiFi, my IP address is a US address.  When I use mobile data 3G or 4G, my IP address is an EE address in Hove, West Sussex even though I am connected to the US T-mobile network.  I can get round the problem by using a VPN with a US IP address. I’ve checked the IP addresses using whatismyIP.com 
6 REPLIES 6
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @freddyk

Are you on one of our new Max plans or have you purchased a data add-on?

If you have an active data plan, please try the troubleshooting below in order to try and get a mobile data connection:-

Try re-booting your device

Try turning 4G off in ‘settings’

Perform a manual network search:-

• iPhone – Settings > Carrier > Toggle Automatic OFF
  • Android – Settings > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Operators > Tap OK
  • Windows – Settings > Mobile Network > Network Selection > Tap on start manual search

Please let me know if any of that works.

Chris

by freddyk Contributor
Contributor
Solution

I’m on a Max plan that includes data in the US.  I’ve discovered that the website in question blocks non-US IP addresses.  When i am on WiFi, my IP address is a US address.  When I use mobile data 3G or 4G, my IP address is an EE address in Hove, West Sussex even though I am connected to the US T-mobile network.  I can get round the problem by using a VPN with a US IP address. I’ve checked the IP addresses using whatismyIP.com 
by

OK, thanks for the update, I'm glad you got to the bottom of it, @freddyk.

Enjoy the rest of your time in the USA. 😄

Chris

by freddyk Contributor
Contributor

Can you explain to me why EE gives me a UK IP address when I am connected to the US TMobile network?

Dr Fred Kavalier [MOD EDIT: XX XXXXXXXXX XXXX XXXXXX XX XXX, UKMobile: XXXXXXXXXX Please do not post personal informaton in the forum] www.kavalier.org.uk

by

Of course @freddyk

When roaming abroad your mobile data is routed through the EE network here in the UK.

This allows us to make sure your billing and allowances are accurate.

Chris

by Profile closed
Not applicable

EE have always done this for roaming data.

All roaming data goes through the UK in order that EE can control it's usage i.e stop your data if a roaming data add-on runs out to prevent high bills / bill shock.

This doesn't really apply to the newer Max plans, however, the roaming data will still stop on Max plans once you either reach you monthly data allowance (or if you reach 15Gb if your UK data allowance is higher than 15Gb a month).

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.