by Helen35 Investigator
Investigator

Trying to use a pay as you go sim in USA

Please help, I bought a pay as you go sim to use in my other mobile whilst in USA. The person  in ee shop said it would be good to go, however I'm now in USA and am unable to text or make calls. I need to be able to contact UK. 

21 REPLIES 21
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Trying to use a pay as you go sim in USA

Hi @Helen35  Did you set it up and have it working back in the UK, added credit, and all that?

by Helen35 Investigator
Investigator

Hi, we were told in shop that all we had to do was put the £20 SIM in the phone and we'd be fine to use over here. I have had a text from EE acknowledging we are in USA but I think now that I need the phone to be activated by ee to use here?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Helen35 : EE SIMs you buy in UK are intended for use in UK & EU. They don't include roaming outside EU where the SIM's Pack is not valid. So you will need credit on the SIM to use it at the rates set out in https://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/call-or-going-abroad/roaming-costs/countries/usa under the PAYG tab.

The SIM is activated to use in US as it received a text there. All you need is credit.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Helen35 Investigator
Investigator

We had a £20 SIM to use in USA a couple of years back and it worked 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Then you must've not had a Pack on it & used the £20 credit for your calls & texts in USA, rather than buying a £20 Pack.

Are you able to text AL to 150 & what does it report?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Helen35 Investigator
Investigator

Just says SIM failed

by Helen35 Investigator
Investigator

Hi again, do you know if there is a way EE can enable the phone to be used by me giving them the mobile number?

by Helen35 Investigator
Investigator

I think I hit solved on this query but it isn't 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Can't you remove it yourself by clicking the gearwheel by it & "Not the Solution"? If not, I can do it for you.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Do you have any credit left on it? Look in your MyEE.

by Helen35 Investigator
Investigator

Could you please do it for me, thank you so much Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
by Helen35 Investigator
Investigator

Yes it's a full £20 SIMSent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Done!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, the SIM cost £20 but has it gone to buy a Pack, as it usually does, or is it still on the SIM as credit. Look in your MyEE.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Helen35 

I hope you're having a brilliant time in the USA so far. 

If you have a credit balance, you'll be able to use that to pay for your calls and texts whilst in America or buy an add-on.

You can find the costs and add-ons for the USA on our roaming tool >

Chris

by Helen35 Investigator
Investigator

Hi, I definitely have £20  credit but no texts will send and calls get some sort of msg saying calls barred ( I think that's what its saying)

I just don't know how to get it to work.

by Helen35 Investigator
Investigator

Looking at the Sim card Status on the phone it says

Roaming

On Network :

AT and T

Mobile Network state:

Disconnected

Mobile network type:

HSUPA

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for confirming @Helen35.

Are you able to try manually selecting another network? you can do this by following these steps:

Settings > Mobile Network > Network Operators

Speak soon, 

Katie 🙂

by Helen35 Investigator
Investigator

Hi Katie 

It says Network Operators AT &T , when I click on that it comes up with search Networks or Select Automatically

I pressed on search and it then says I'm on AT and T

I just feel I should be able to contact EE with the mobile no and get them to clear it for use here but I don't know how to msg them or online chat?

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.