by shauno
Explorer

Travelling for an extended period

I'm going to be heading to the US shortly for around 3 months. My current contract is almost up and I was looking to move onto a SIM only contract. 

Having read the the details about the 4GEE Max plans, I understand that the inclusive roaming only covers up to 30 days of continuous roaming. I plan to use an alternative service for data roaming anyway, but will still need to be able to make and receive calls for the time I am in the US. These will be v infrequent so I don't care too much about the cost of them but I'm not clear whether after 30 days my ability to use international roaming will be stopped completely (as opposed to just no longer being included in my allowance). 

If if it would be stopped completely what is the best option for me? Would a PAYG plan allow me to roam (at cost) for the full period?

Any advice appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Travelling for an extended period

When you say make and receive calls, do you mean locally within the US or make  and receive calls mostly to/from the UK?

For a three month trip I'd pop into a Best Buy and get a Simple Mobile SIM for my time there. They do other SIMs as well, so others may be more suitable, PAYG type ones.

Use whatsapp, imessage, hangouts etc for texts and calls from the UK. I think some simple mobile plans include calls to the UK as well.

You'd need an unlocked phone though and a fairly modern one that's likely to work on their LTE bands.

Of course, that's all a bit of a faff and you'd still have a UK SIM so it may just be easier to find a suitable plan for that.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Travelling for an extended period

Not up to 30 days of roaming but for up to 60 days abroad in any 120 day period.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.