by kevdyas85 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Travel Data Pass in UAE and Max Plans

I’ve very recently upgraded my phone and come away to the UAE, on arrival I received the following text:

Welcome to The United Arab Emirates. Text TRAVEL to 150 to get a massive 500MB of daily data for a fixed £6.00 a day while you're there. Opt in once and you'll only be charged on days you use data abroad in an included country. For full details, click add-on.ee.co.uk/traveldata for free (check data roaming is ON).

Otherwise, you can choose a standard data add-on from £5 for 50MB. Click add-on.ee.co.uk for free to buy.

For the best possible network coverage please make sure your handset can automatically select a network. If you need help to do that, go here: http://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device” except when I tried to add the data pass I got the following:

“Sorry, Travel Data Pass is not available on your price plan. You can find details of all our standard roaming add-ons and prices at ee.co.uk/roaming”

Firstly - Why send me a text about it then!! I hunted further to find the terms of the data pass and it says “Who Can Get Travel Data Pass?
Available to all EE Pay Monthly consumer customers. Travel Data Pass is not currently available to customers on mobile broadband/Mobile Wi-Fi plans.
Max plan customers who upgraded or joined after 10th May 2017 may already be able to take their UK allowances to some of the above destinations: data usage in these countries will not trigger a Travel Data Pass daily charge. See ee.co.uk/roaming for countries currently included. Travel Data Pass is available to Max plan customers in the remaining countries not already included in their plan.” 

Therefore I meet all the necessary criteria, I went through the online chat but I was on a sketchy Wi-Fi connection and asked them to message me if I got disconnected which they did: 

“Hi from EE
Your UA Max plan is not compatible with Travel data pass and you would need to purchase the normal data addon to use the data.
Regards
EE”

I really struggle to understand how EE manage to get so many things wrong when it comes to roaming! It’s not as though they’re leading the way on taking your plan abroad when compared to other networks and just make the odd error.

So, why am I unable to get this data pass when they’ve sent me a text to tell me about it and their terms explicitly say it is available to any pay monthly plans and those on max can use the pass in countries not currently covered by the plan itself.

6 REPLIES 6
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Travel Data Pass in UAE and Max Plans

It does seem that the people that make up these plans never go abroad as a customer and experience the poor experience that we get.

A while ago EE introduced MAX TRAVEL for max plan users but that seems to have gone and it's just the TRAVEL one now, however obviously that doesn't work for you. I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't got round to adding it to the new UA MAX plans yet and need to be prompted.

Can you see if the travel data pass appears in MyEE app under get add-ons then roaming? I doubt it'll work, but worth a go!

Established Contributor

When I went on to the chat thing the advisor suggested MAXTRAVEL too (whatever that one is!) but I got the same reply... can’t help but think I have been charged for these text messages to 150 too! 

Theres no option in myEE for the data pass... I am wondering if the calls/messages one works on the Max plan too.

It does make it interesting when the advisors decide they’re consulting the “Roaming Team” - I wonder what they do most of the time because there’s always a complication with roaming and they’re clearly not negotiating some deals to allow us to use our allowances.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @kevdyas85

The Max travel pass is £6 per day for 500MB per day and is only available on Max Plans taken after 10th May 2017.

As far as I am aware, you should be able to have either the Travel Data pass or the Max Travel data pass.

I recommend speaking to the live chat team again, to see if they can find the right package for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Chris

Established Contributor

Slightly annoying when you have to jump through hoops whilst on holiday, why can’t things just work. EE needs to work on some standardisation rather than all this if you’re on EE, Orange, T-Mobile and if you’re pay monthly before this this date and pay monthly after this date. 

Established Contributor

The live chat doesnt seem to be working at the moment?

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Live chat only appears when agents are free, however I also suspect (and EE say they don't) they geo-block it from aboad too, some of the time.

You could try Skype and call EE for free on +44 800 956 6000.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.