Make your house a smart home - with help from EE
by n1david Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thailand - more expensive for Max subscribers?

There seems to be an anomaly for Max customers.  Outside the EU, they get free roaming in Australia, Canada, Mexico, NZ and USA (assuming it's a recent plan).

Before switching to a Max plan (for free roaming in NZ), I had the Travel Data Pass, which gives you 500MB for £4 or £5 in USA, Canada, India, Mexico, NZ, South Africa, Thailand, Turkey and UAE.

The problem is that if you're on a Max plan, you can't buy Travel Data Pass - 150 gives the response that it's not available on this price plan - which means that you have to pay more for the limited allowance - for example, in Thailand I have the choice of paying £4 for 40MB or £7 for 100MB rather than the Data Pass allowance of £5 for 500MB.  There's also the hassle of signing up every day rather than it just working.  I assume the same applies in India, South Africa, Turkey and UAE.

Have I got this right?  Anyone found a way around this?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Thailand - more expensive for Max subscribers?

Yes, it is a nonsensical anomaly for Max customers.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
14 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Yes, it is a nonsensical anomaly for Max customers.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by Maestro
Maestro

It’s also because HMRC have forced EE (and all other U.K. mobile networks) to now charge VAT on all none-EU roaming add-ons.

I believe the old £4.00 travel pass add-on is now £5.00 and the old £5.00 add-on is now £6.00.

Valued Contributor

That surely can't be relevant as the ruling applies equally to Max and non-Max subscribers, so it doesn't explain the differentiation between the offers to subscribers on each type of plan... unless I am missing something?  The question is not about the price of each addon, but why the best value one is not available to Max subscribers.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

At least EE could give Max customers the option to buy the TDP worldwide & choose to pay the extra VAT like everyone else.

Valued Contributor

Following discussions with CS I've been offered the standard data addons at halfprice, i.e. £2 for 40MB or £3.50 for 100MB.  Not ideal but a decent compromise.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @n1david

I will certainly pass any feedback over to the relevant departments.

I'm glad you have received a compromise is in the mean time.

Many thanks,

Lee

Valued Contributor

Very unhelpfully EE did not honour the discounted rates that I was promised - in fact, they changed the packages available, despite the fact that the old rates are still available at http://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/call-or-going-abroad/roaming-costs/countries/thailan...

The website still states

£4 for 40MB or

£7 for 100MB

which I was offered at 50% off because I couldn't use the Travel Data Plan.

Instead offered when you connect to data in Thailand are

£5 for 50MB

£10 for 150MB

- both still nothing like as useful as the Travel Data Pass at £4.80 for 500MB which is not available to EE's customers on most expensive packages!

Any idea how I go about complaining about EE not honouring their offer?  I have the chat transcript.

(Note - it looks like the rates changed on 1 Nov - my text conversation with CS was on 3 Nov)

by

Hi @n1david and welcome back to the community.

We now do a MAX Travel Data Pass (For max plans post may 2017), this is £4.80+ for 500mb of data (Charged dailly when a data connection is made) to be used in the following countries:

• South Africa
  • China
  • UAE
  • India
  • Thailand
  • Turkey

The following details are how to activate and remove:

OPT in via Text: Text MAXTRAVEL to 150

OPT out via Text: Text STOP MAXTRAVELto 150

If you are not happy with how you situation has been handled please see our ways to complain

Hope this helps,

Lee.

Valued Contributor

While this is good news, this is not offered as an option when connecting to a data network in those countries.

When was this introduced?  CS did not know about it on 3 Nov.  I also can't find any reference to it on the EE website - indeed, the page about Travel Data Plan still says  "Available to all pay monthly customers with the exception of those who upgraded or joined after 10th May 2017 and took out a 4GEE Max plan."

So how is anyone supposed to know about this new plan?  It would have saved me a lot of money over the last three weeks.

by

Hi @n1david

The help pages are in the process of being updated.

It won't offer you the bundle unless you have text the above codes.

Many thanks,

Lee

Valued Contributor

So... EE didn't honor the offer that they made to me on 3 Nov, and as far as I can tell there was no way for me to learn about  the Max Data Plan (and still no way other than this community).  Not very helpful...

by

Hi @n1david,

As mentioned previously if you are not happy with how your situation has been handled please see our ways to complain.

Many thanks,

Lee

Valued Contributor

Just for the record, EE have confirmed that I should never have been offered the "half price" roaming packages detailed in post 6.  EE Complaints have dealt with the situation very quickly and have offered me a satisfactory resolution.  Shame it came to the Complaints stage, but I'm very impressed by how quickkly EE have dealt with the issue.

by

Thank you for the update, @n1david.

I'm glad to see that you have accepted a resolution with the complaints team.

Chris

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.