by RayAl
Explorer

Studying in China for one year – using my iPhone

I was hoping someone can help. I have a UK EE pay-monthly contract on an iPhone that runs until December 2019. In July 2019, I am studying in China for one year and trying to understand how to use my phone without running up huge bills.

All I can find through EE is a roaming call/receiving charge of £1.80 per minute. Also, £180 per month for data (30 days of data passes at £6). That's ok if you're Tim Cook, but I can't afford it.

Should I just pay my monthly EE bill and then also buy a Chinese SIM card when I arrive?

I would appreciate some advice.

5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Studying in China for one year – using my iPhone

Yes, that's the best thing to do. Make sure you get your phone unlocked before you go.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @RayAl.

Welcome to the community.

China sounds really exciting! 🙂

We have a roaming costs page which also gives you the cost of bundles to use in China.

Alternatively, as @XRaySpeX has suggested, you could unlock your phone.

I know you're not going for a while yet, but I hope you have a great time!

Jon

by RayAl
Explorer

Hi Jon

Thanks for your reply. Yes’m I’m really looking forward to my study year in China. 

I think I’m all clear now on how to manage my phone charges while in China. The phone unlocking is also a great idea. 

Thanks again. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Great @RayAl.

Have a great time!

Feel free to come back to the community if you have any further questions 🙂

Jon

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.