by Quark999 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Shared Data SIM not working abroad

Right, another EE customer service problem, after the farce that is trying to upgrade to the new Max plans and free roaming in the US.

My data SIM is not working abroad. I have it in a Windows 10 laptop and it works fine at home, but not in Europe. Roaming is active on that SIM.

I found @doc350's thread here https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/Roaming/thread-id/7171/page/2 that indicated the problem is that I have a shared data SIM, not a shared tablet SIM.

Problem is, customer service and tech support are utterly lost. Tech Support won't even investigate my issue because I "don't have a device attached" and they don't know how to troubleshoot a laptop with built in SIM - they suggested calling Dell to sort out their SIM. Contracts are telling me that they don't do shared data SIMs anymore and while I can keep my current one they can't switch it to a tablet SIM.

So I'm stuck with a SIM that "should" work abroad for £9/month but doesn't. All they can offer me is another entirely seperate SIM for £23/month.

The mind boggles.

10 REPLIES 10
by
EE Employee

Re: Shared Data SIM not working abroad

Hi @Quark999 and welcome back.

So I can try and assist, are you able to try the SIM card in your handset?

Is there any option in the mobile network that allows you to manually select a mobile network and try an alternative network?

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Lee_H  I'm not 100% sure but I thought that on a shared sim data can not be used abroad but only calls and text can be.    As I say I'm not 100% sure of that as I'm trying to remember something I've read on here or something I've seen about shared plans.  

by
EE Employee

Hi @Chris_B

I have just had a quick look through my emails and me and @Karen_C were looking into this issue.

I am going to do some more digging.

@Quark999 so I can try and assist can you please Private Message me the two numbers on your account and I will try and get this raised.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Lee_H  Once you know for sure can you please confirm if I'm right or wrong on this,  thanks.  Hopefully I'm wrong as I think that a shared sim should have all the benefits when abroad.   Cheers.  

by
EE Community Support Team

Morning @Chris_B

We will no problem at all 🙂

Thanks.

Established Contributor

While I'm waiting for the results of the research - Windows 10 (laptop) doesn't  seem to allow me to manually select another carrier, but the "account not active" message sounds a bit like there's no hope anyway.

Next time I will take that little iPhone SIM ejector tool with me so that I can put the laptop SIM in my phone and see what happens. Didn't have anything sufficiently small with me. Not sure whether that generally works though as it is a data SIM. Might try in the UK first to see what it should look like.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @Quark999

Thanks for the update.

If you could try that and let us know the results.

We will let you know when we have further information for you 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Quark999  The sim will work in a phone just don't make a call/text as you will be charged.   

You can push anything into the hole to get the sim out I've used a paper clip before.  

Established Contributor

You can push anything into the hole to get the sim out I've used a paper clip before.

I know - it's still something that's quite difficult to get hold of in a hotel in Copenhagen 🙂

by
EE Employee

Hi @Quark999

Do let us know if you manage to do so.

If you are traveling with a lady, an earring is also a handy tool 🙂

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.