by DaveyG Investigator
Investigator

Roaming to DT in Germany is broken

I travel to Germany every other week, and for about 3 months now Roaming to Telekom does not work - I've reported it to Cc but they have not a clue.

I can occassionally get onto the O2 network, but coverage is poor and they dont have 4G.

Also, TMF is not working from Germany to EE so I block my voicemail when I try to use it.

Finally why can't I roam to Vodafone in Germany

All V frustrating

Dave

15 REPLIES 15
by DaveyG Investigator
Investigator

any idea why roaming to DT is not working in Germany, DTMF is broken as well

I travel to Germany every other week, and for about 3 months now Roaming to Telekom does not work - I've reported it to Cc but they have not a clue.

I can occassionally get onto the O2 network, but coverage is poor and they dont have 4G.

Also, TMF is not working from Germany to EE so I block my voicemail when I try to use it.

Finally why can't I roam to Vodafone in Germany

All V frustrating

Dave

by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Roaming to DT in Germany is broken

Hi @DaveyG

Welcome to the EE Community.

When you say it doesn't work, what happens?

Can you connect at all?

Do you get any errors?

I'll do my best to help.

Chris

by DaveyG Investigator
Investigator

Hi Christopher, I can occasionally connect to Telekom but quickly get moved to O2, which doesnt have 4G and is generally poor quality, e.g the DTMF tones back to the UK do not work so it's impossible to access my voicemail.

It looks to me like EE is steering its customers away from the excellent Telekom network and onto O2 as thier preferred roaming partner. 

Which is odd for 2 reasons, O2 is a rubbish network and Telekom owns 12% of BT.

Please can we use Telekom in Germany and get a quality experience.

D

by

Thanks for getting back to me, @DaveyG.

When roaming, if your phone loses connection it will automatically roam onto what it perceives as the next strongest network.

What is the make and model of your phone?

Chris

by DaveyG Investigator
Investigator

It's a samsung S8.

I know how roaming works, EE are using a legal technique called  Steering of Roaming to route German traffic to O2.

D

by

When you say you can occasionally connect to Telekom, is this when you try manually, @DaveyG?

Manual network connection:-

Tap Settings >>> Connections >>> Mobile Networks >>> Network Operators >>> Search networks.

Usually, if you select manually, it wouldn't automatically search for another network.

Chris

by DaveyG Investigator
Investigator

Yes, only way onto Telekom is via manual search, but then Telekom
disappears (without moving, Telekom coverage is still there its just not
offerred), and O2 is the only available network
by

OK, I see, @DaveyG.

It is possible that the signal in the area that you're in isn't too strong for Telekom, or they may be having temporary issues with a site in the area.

This isn't something that we have access to, I'm afraid.

Chris

by mailjackhorrey Investigator
Investigator

I've just come back from Germany and since November I've had exactly the same problem,  It seems that EE prefers O2 now, even when I manually select Telekom after a short time it reverts to 'No Service' and then I end up with no choice other than to reconnect to the very poor O2-DE network.

EE have come up with pathetic excuses such as Telekom must have a bad service or O2 must be stronger, but this is utter rubbish because perversely the hotel I stay in has the Telekom mast on top of it!! I used to get 4G and 5 signal bars and now I get O2 GRPS if I'm lucky.

Why EE have dropped Telekom who have a stake in BT is beyond me and it makes no sense.  I spend one week a month in Germany and if this isn't sorted I may actually leave EE, do a bit of research and go to a UK network that roams on DT.  I wouldn't normally spend so much time addressing this issue, but O2 is so poor and I spend so much time in Germany it has a very negative impact on business.

Although I dislike Vodafone in the UK the German Vodafone is actually as good as DT so maybe I'll give that a try again.

Sort it out EE!

by

Hi @mailjackhorrey

Welcome to the community.

When you travel to Germany, do you stay in the same city and hotel? Or is it different areas of Germany that you travel to?

Chris

Investigator

Thank you Chris.

This hotel is near Heidelberg, I've stayed there for years so I know the Telekom mast is on the roof.  I've been with EE since 2014 and travelled all over Germany for years.  Before 2014 I was with Vodafone which goes to vodafone.de which was also ok but Telekom rocked.  4G everywhere.

Now its lousy O2-DE.  4G very rarely, 3G or GPRS it's rubbish.

I traveled to Frankfurt, Heidelberg, Cologne.  Same problem everywhere...

by

Thanks for the information, @mailjackhorrey.

I've sent you a private message to ask you for some more information.

Please take a look. 

Thanks 🙂

Chris

Investigator

I had a call from Michael in technical and he has indeed confirmed that EE has switched its alliance to O2 and they've moved away from Telekom.  I was grateful that he was honest about this, but it is with regret that I'm planning now on leaving EE as a result.  I spend so much time in Germany and a ropey O2-DE just won't do.

My options are to either switch to Vodafone who roam on the very reliable Vodafone.de, or I'll go to Three who use Telekom.de.

I've been happy with EE, so its rather perverse that I'm leaving for this reason, and even stranger that you are moving away from such a good Germany network that owns 12% of BT.  I don't get it!

by SK_London

Thanks so much @mailjackhorrey for raising this issue which I also experienced and drove me nearly crazy. I called EE to investigate and all I was told that it is probably my phone and that I should reset the network settings. Needless to say that this had zero effect.

I am on an EE Business contract and in Germany on a regular basis. For business and to visit parts of my family who live there. If EE restricts roaming to O2 only, I am considering to leave as well. O2 Germany is a crap and patchy network with 4G only randomly available. I am speaking of +500K cities.

@Christopher_G: could you please flag this to someone with decision making power? Is there any contract that allows freedom of choice again? EE Germany roaming for the past 5 years I am with EE was always possible on all three carriers, i.e. Telekom, Vodafone and O2.  HELP!

Investigator

I'm sorry to hear you are having the same problems as me.

I've got the EE complaints office checking this out and they are trying to be helpful but I know two things for sure:-

EE are steering us to O2-De as the Telekom mast is on my hotel roof, so I get O2-DE with GPRS which is perverse!

I did 10 speed tests in a row with both O2-DE (4G) and Telekom (4G) when I could get it and I got 2MBPS Upload and Download so something isn't right here.  My German colleague is on Telekom and got 20MBPs download, so I think there is a 'whole load of throttling going on'!

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.