by Profile closed
Not applicable

Roaming "destinations" - does anyone else feel cheated?

Hi

These days network's roaming offering is probably one of the truly important factors when it comes to decision which mobile provider to choose.

Is that why majority of networks decided to go down the massaging the figures route?

Or so it seems.

Take a look at every major network's (EE included) roaming "destinations" list. Noticed anything?

Spain and Canary Islands listed as separate destinations. Madeira listed separately from Portugal. So are Azores.

Etc., etc., etc....

Although these territories are absolute and integral parts of the respective countries and by saying "Spain" or "Portugal" you already include Canary Islands or Madeira.

Wouldn't, say, "Spain incl. Canary Islands" sound a lot more accurate? 

18 REPLIES 18
by
EE Employee

Re: Roaming "destinations" - does anyone else feel cheated?

Hi @Profile closed

I will certainly pass your feedback over to the relevant team.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@Lee_H thanks but I doubt anything will happen - this type of wording is common now amongst most of the UK mobile players. Someone must've started using it and others followed the suit.

To me, it just feels so strange that such...inaccurate (softly speaking) wording got so widely adopted and accepted  

by
EE Employee

Hi @glawedianeric

I understand your frustration, but I will indeed pass it over.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Profile closed

It's because they are independent territories, that is why they are listed separately.

Plus as popular tourist destinations, it's easier for customers to identify them as part of their EU allowance, as looking at a map these islands are nearer to Morocco than Spain.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Profile closed
Not applicable

@Northerner

Apologise, but I'm not quite sure in what sense are they independent territories? Are, for example  Canary Islands not part of Spain?

I'm also not quite sure how the geographical location alone determines whether a territory is a part of a particular country or not and should be listed as a separate destination? Why then Ceuta (which is part of Spain, albeit "attached" to Morocco) isn't listed as a separate destination? Or Alaska isn't listed separately from USA?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Profile closed  If you asked somebody where they going on holiday would they say the Canary Islands or would they say Spain if they’re going to the Canary Islands  ? 

It’s not the network it’s the understanding of what is part of what country and knowing where your going.  And to make this easy for people to under stand the same terminology is used.  

People don’t say they’re going to the Balearic Islands they don’t say I’m going to Spain they say I’m going to Majorca, Ibiza, Minorca  yet it’s actually Spain.  

People don’t search Spain if they going to the Canary Islands they search the Canary Islands.  

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@Chris_B 

I apologise once again but I'm not sure what have simple facts got to do with what "people say" and their perception of certain countries and territories. 

Maybe it's just me. 

People also say "I'm going to Florida" or "I'm going to Catalonia". So far nobody lists them as separate destinations (yet?). 

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@Chris_B

Plus, as per your own argument, Menorca, etc. should be listed separately. At the end of the day they, as you pointed out, aren't any different to Canary Islands (why are they listed as "Canary Islands" , not "Tenerife, Lanzarote", etc. btw?) from people's geographical ignorance point of view. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What does it matter? They cost the same.

They are listed separately cuz some peeps may not realise they are part of the host country, not being adjacent to it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Profile closed
Not applicable

@XRaySpeX

I've just asked the question :). So far, all the replies suggest that people are fine with it and find the way networks list their roaming destinations reasonable. That, in turn, is absolutely fine with me regardless of how I feel about it personally. 

Btw, many people might not realise that Ibiza, for example, is part of Spain, yet Ibiza not listed separately. I'm sure there are other similar examples.

I personally feel that, for example, "Spain (including Canary Islands)" is more accurate than "Spain, Canary Islands". But that's just me :).

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Like many things it's a Q of where do you join the line.

@Profile closed wrote:

I personally feel that, for example, "Spain (including Canary Islands)" is more accurate than "Spain, Canary Islands". But that's just me :).

No, that would be my preference too.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Profile closed  While it sounds like your more aware of what area belongs to what country that doesn’t mean that everyone else does.    There have been people asking if they can use there tariff allowance in Egypt because they believe that Egypt is part of the EU.  People graphical awareness is quite shocking sometimes.   It might not be labelled to your linking and I’m not saying your wrong it’s liable as people understand and search for the information.. 

As for your example people are aware that Florida is in the USA  they just being more geographical accurate just like when they say The Canary Islands but what they don’t realise is that it’s a part of Spain.  

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@Chris_B

I can see your point re geographical awareness, but listing, for example, Canary Islands and Spain as separate destinations does not help to improve geographical knowledge, the only thing it helps to achieve is bumping "roaming destinations" number up for networks a bit ;). Whilst "Spain (incl. Canary Islands)" would help people realise that these territories are actually part of Spain.

You've mentioned Balearic Islands previously. The situation with geographical unawareness here is quite similar to that with Canary Islands. What's more, you said (and I agree), that people don't say "I'm going to Balearic Islands", they say "I'm going to Majorca", etc. 

Why aren't Majorca, Ibiza, etc. listed separately then? 🙂

My point is that listing Canary Islands, Azores, Madeira and some other territories as separate destinations doesn't necessarily eliminate confusion for people with little geographical awareness. Whilst "Spain (including [insert the list of the destinations people mostly feel confused and ask about here])" would be more accurate and perhaps, help bringing the number of "Is XYZ in EU" questions to minimum.

Also, EE Roaming Tool (https://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/call-or-going-abroad/roaming-costs) could, perhaps, do a better job in allowing customers to find a certain region of their interest and showing which actual country that region belongs to, i.e. when someone searches for "Tenerife", the answer would go along the lines of  "Tenerife is part of Canary Islands, Spain" showing roaming rates for Spain.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Profile closed  While EE could teach customers geographical awareness it’s not down to EE todo this ( or is it ? ) and EE are only showing customers what they search for. and how they understand the locations that they going to.  

As I said while some/yourself  would  prefer a more accurate wording that is used it’s what customers understand and search for that most important and I think you’ll agree with that.  

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@Chris_B

Once again, I agree with you ;).

It probably isn't down to EE to teach customers geographical awareness. 

What is down to EE (and other networks) is show the accurate list of roaming destinations without repeating certain destinations twice.

With all due respect, isn't it either or?

I mean either we agree that listing certain destinations separately from the countries they belong to (repeating them twice essentially) is justified because of lack of geographical awareness amongst customers, and if so acknowledge that this shouldn't stop the halfway through and more "destinations" should be added based on what other regions people are unaware of. .

OR

Just list the countries (perhaps, with putting "incl. XYZ" in brackets) and hope that customers are willing to do their research on their holiday destination and aren't being banned from Google or Wikipedia. 

As of now, when a network (again, not just EE) claims that they are offering free roaming (or other roaming packages) in X destinations, I'm always confused as to what the real number of destinations actually is as it is certainly not X :). 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Profile closed  The whole of the EU is now covered by the standard EE tariffs and PAYG tariffs.  It’s only max plans that have a added 5 destinations.  So any one who’s on a max plan should be aware of what there tariff allows.   No other  destination is covered by any tariff.    

You make a good point about  destinations been listed twice but customers like you who are actually aware of what’s where in the world and what belongs to what country in the world and then there are some customers who will only search for their destination not necessarily the country the destination belongs to.  

Sometimes you have to be more understanding and give a little.  Smiley Wink

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@Chris_B

I've already said I agreed with you on two occasions, I certainly don't mind being understanding :).

It's just that my perception of your certain points was that they were in direct opposition to each other, so I wasn't too sure which one to show more understanding to. But that's just me, I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, sadly 🙂  

by Profile closed
Not applicable

https://shop.ee.co.uk/international/travelling-abroad#destinations1

"Plus, our 4GEE Max plan lets you talk, text, browse and share in even more places – an incredible 53 countries"

Surely, Canary Islands, Azores, etc. aren't separate countries? 🙂

Which (possibly) proves my point - first, these places are shown as individual "destinations", then, before you know it, people start thinking of them as separate "countries".

On a side note, glad to see improving their Travel Data Pass :).

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.