by Breeb Investigator
Investigator

Roaming not working in some countries

I purchased a 20 pound 10gb data pack in London, however I didnt get the chance to activate it until I arrived in munich. I was able to receive all the texts welcoming me to ee, however data didn't work and I couldn't send texts or calls. When I then travelled to Croatia a couple days later everything worked fine, however not that I'm in Prague for some reason it's stopped working again.

I've tried selecting a network provider manually, along with restarting many times however nothing works. Additionally I attempted to go to manage devices on my account to enable roaming, however there is no tick box there to enable roaming - it just has a link saying find out more. Any assistance would be appreciated. 

9 REPLIES 9
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Re: Roaming not working in some countries

Hi @Breeb 

did you text “ROAMING” to 150 when you set off on your travels? 

Have you enabled data roaming in your device in the settings? 

are you able to check how much data you have left from your pack at all? Could you have perhaps used it up? 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Roaming is auto activated for PAYG SIMs. There is no need to text ROAMING. Hence you don;t see anything about roaming in MyEE.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Breeb , if you did not activate or use your SIM card before leaving the UK, then this may be the reason why it will not work, as SIM cards have to first be activated in the UK and used once in the UK before it will work in another country, as there should otherwise be no problem in Europe, and it should work in Germany.

Have you also checked here:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Roaming/EE-Roaming-Help-when-abroad-with-your-EE-phone-or-device/td-p/...

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Breeb

Welcome to the community.

It's unusual that the SIM has worked in Croatia but not in Germany or Czech Republic.

@Schockwave is correct though. If the SIM isn't activated in the UK before travelling abroad, it can cause problems with functionality.

When you go to the add-on status page, what does it say?

Chris

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

My mistake, had not realised that it had worked in. Croatia, it should work in Germany then, need to make sure that you have enough on your sim financially for it to work.

by Breeb Investigator
Investigator

When I go to the addon status page it just won't load, so can't see anything. I've done all the other steps in every guide, slightly frustrating as I was assured I could activate overseas and it would work. 

by

Hi @Breeb,

Were you actually able to use your SIM in Croatia?

Did you successfully make a call or send a text?

Thanks

James

by Breeb Investigator
Investigator

I didn't actually make a call or text as I didn't need to - data worked perfectly for the whole week though. 

by

Hi @Breeb,

To get this looked into, please get in touch with Customer Care.

Please be aware that if the SIM has never been used in the UK, they may not be able to lift the roaming restrictions until you return to the UK.

Thanks

James

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.