by Radii8

Roaming minutes on a long trip

Hi, I am going to South Africa for 5 1/2 weeks but the roaming options listed here (http://explore.ee.co.uk/roaming/ee/south-africa) only seem to only allow you to use it for up to 30 days. Am I going to be able to use my phone for that last week and a half? Does the contract roll over or is there a better solution?  I'm on an EE 4GEE plan. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Roaming minutes on a long trip

@Radii8  Call customer services they might be able to offer you something better than the 30 day option.   You can use the 30 day option but you'll need then to purchase a shorter day option after.  

Do do forget to text ROAMING to 150 to activate roaming on your account.  Do this asap. 

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@Radii8  Call customer services they might be able to offer you something better than the 30 day option.   You can use the 30 day option but you'll need then to purchase a shorter day option after.  

Do do forget to text ROAMING to 150 to activate roaming on your account.  Do this asap. 

by braeburn8
Explorer

I have been told by the 150 operator that the information on this page:  is wrong as the packages are no longer no longer available.

I asked that the page, which is currently accessible, sould be removed and was assured that it would be.

The current offerings for South Africa are for voice and text given on this page as at 20 June 2017:

http://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/call-or-going-abroad/roaming-costs/countries/south-a...

I read these charges with incredulity; they are outragheously high.

I was assured by the 150 operator there are no alternatives from EE on offer.

A major failure for EE from my point of view. 

Anyone with more sensible options, or ideas to keep mobile calls text and data charges to anything similar to the now obsolete page.  

In case the page is taken down I have copied the contents fo that obsolete page:

Add ons

HOW LONG IS YOUR TRIP?
Up to 30 days
TALK & TEXT
30 Roaming Minutes - Global
30 MINUTES TO MAKE OR RECEIVE CALLS WHILST ABROAD ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD
MONTHLY ROLLING CONTRACT
£6 PER MONTH
  • Get 30 minutes to make or receive calls whilst abroad in any country.
  • Includes calls back to the UK and to any other country whilst abroad, including this country.
  • Countries covered are within EE Roaming Zones 1, 1A, 2A, 2B, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8. Calls to and from Maritime, Satellite and Airline networks are not included (Zones 7 & 9).
  • Premium rate numbers and non-geographic numbers are not included.
  • If you don't use all 30 minutes in any month, they will not be rolled over to the next month and you’ll lose them. 
  • When purchasing this add-on make sure you check where you are in your bill cycle. Your add-on charge will be pro-rated (but you will still get the full mins allowance) which means you will receive an adjusted Add-on charge until your next bill cycle. 
  • We can change any of the included countries from the add-on upon reasonable notice
Text HOLS to 441
60 Roaming Minutes - Global
60 MINUTES TO MAKE OR RECEIVE CALLS WHILST ABROAD ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD
MONTHLY ROLLING CONTRACT
£10 PER MONTH
120 Roaming Minutes - Global
120 MINUTES TO MAKE OR RECEIVE CALLS WHILST ABROAD ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD
MONTHLY ROLLING CONTRACT
£20 PER MONTH
100 Roaming Texts - Global
100 TEXTS TO USE WHILST ABROAD TO ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD
MONTHLY ROLLING CONTRACT
£6 PER MONTH
250 Roaming Texts - Global
250 ROAMING TEXTS TO USE WHILST ABROAD ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD
MONTHLY ROLLING CONTRACT
£10 PER MONTH
DATA
Travel Data Pass

500MB OF DATA FOR A FIXED PRICE PER DAY
£3 A DAY IN OUR EUROPE ZONE, £4 A DAY IN USA & CANADA, £5 A DAY IN 9 OTHER COUNTRIES - SEE BELOW
Zone A roaming data add-on 40MB
40MB OF DATA TO USE FOR 24 HOURS
40MB
£4
Zone A Roaming Data Add-on 100MB
100MB OF DATA TO USE FOR 24 HOURS
100MB
£7
Zone A roaming data add-on 250MB
250MB OF DATA TO USE FOR 7 DAYS
250MB
£20
Zone A roaming data add-on 750MB
750MB OF DATA TO USE FOR 7 DAYS
750MB
£40
Zone A roaming data add-on 2GB
2GB OF DATA TO USE FOR 12 MONTHS
2GB
£100

by braeburn8
Explorer

I am posting this reply as an update to my earlier message.

I have been informed today 6 july 2017 that page I mentioned:

http://explore.ee.co.uk/roaming/ee/south-africa

Should appear when I first attempt to log on to the net when I arrive in South Africa, rolling contracts on that page will then be offered.

The mis-information of the first 150 operator I called who informed me there were no such rolling plans available, the page was obsolete and the plans listed no longer available has been contermanded by a second operator.  

The page remains accessible and presumably valid today?  

You will only discover fro certain if they are avilable as and when you arrive in South Africa and attempt to access the net from your EE phone.  

You cannot start a contract in advance of your visit.

I am now avoiding waht is for me overcomplicated roaming packages and rolling contracts from EE and I have bought a local SIM package instead.

I discovered quite a few to choose from at relativley inexpensive prices.

Good luck.

by
EE Employee

Good Morning @braeburn8

Sorry to hear you were given a mix of information. It is correct that certain bundles can only be added to your account once you're in the country you're travelling to.

Whilst others may be added prior to travel.

If you're staying in a country for a long trip it is sometimes more cost effective to pick up a local SIM to use whilst you're there.

It all depends on how you need to use your mobile services whilst you're away.

Glad you managed to find a solution for you.

Enjoy your travels!

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.