by cschmitt82 Investigator
Investigator

Roaming in USA suddenly stopped working. Why?

My wife is currently in the USA with sharer SIM - main phone here in UK. Her roaming has been working fine for last 14 days. Today it suddenly stopped working. What can she do to fix this??

12 REPLIES 12
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Roaming in USA suddenly stopped working. Why?

Hello there @cschmitt82

Welcome back to the community.

Does the device show as no service?

If so can she manually connect to a different network at all?

Speak soon, Leanne 🙂

by vadavoom
Visitor

I've also been in USA/California for the last month with work, on the EE MAXX plan (allows USA roaming). I've had great service for the last month on 4g, however since yesterday morning, my network hasnt been working either.. well works maybe in 25% of the locations it previously had. Think something has seriously went wrong with their roaming partners. My network selection has still been left on automatically select.

Just to confirm -zero signal, not even 2g/3g/4g, ive also tried to connect manually which works some of the time. At this moment Automatically connect to network fails, manual connect to AT&T fails, manual connect to TMobile works

Investigator

Hi @vadavoom,

Very interesting. My wife's phone is actually showing "(Access forbidden)" next to all providers. So there is no way to let the phone auto-connect or try a manual connection. Everything gets blocked. Help-chat is not helpful at all. Thinks it's because I *afterwards* made a change in MyEE to flip the 'Roaming allowed' button off and back on - and as a result they claim it can take 24 hours to get reactivated. I think that's wrong, but hey, we'll see at midnight UK time today if their theory is right. Doesn't make sense to me because we didn't touch anything and all ofa sudden - same as for you I guess - her phone had the same behavior. Suddenly terrible connection and then - boom! - nothing. Has been like that since yesterday around 4pm Cali time... Thanks for your feedback!

Investigator

Hi @Leanne_T,

The device shows '<nameOfProvider>(Forbidden)(3G,4G)'. So she can't connect automatically or manually. Connection icon shows an X.

Thanks,

Christoph.

by Cochi
Explorer

I have exact same issue. In California and roaming has been working fine since last Saturday 26th. However, from yesterday AM, I have "No Service" . Have done several resets, turned roaming off and on again, tried manually connecting to networks but nothing has worked 😢.

EE pls can you explain how to fix this?

by garethnettleton
Explorer

I also have 100% the same issue. Arrived into California on Tuesday and my phone was working fine. It stopped working 'No Service' yesterday (Thursday) afternoon. 24 hours later - no change. 

I am a business customer and myt phone is essential for work purposes. Please advise on whether their is a known issue for EE in California. 

by Sitaselina Contributor
Contributor

I've got the same problem it doesn't connect automatically. And won't connect if I try any of the networks manually. Very I convenient as I have just arrived for a two week holiday and I have not way of contacting anyone and I was assured by ee when I upgraded at vast expense that my phone would work here.

by Cochi
Explorer

I think I may have found a solution. I just tried turning off 4G, then manually selecting T Mobile, then airplane mode on for 10secs and then off. I now have roaming back! 

I then flipped it back to Automatic carriers and it's stayed connected. So far so good. Give it a try and see if turning off 4G works for you (but still ensure Data Roaming is on).

Good luck! 🤓

by

Good Morning to you all.

Can you try @Cochi advise and see if this works for you.

If anyone is still having problems we will need this looked into further.

I recommend logging into your My EE account on your phone's browser (not the app) or a computer.

Once you're logged in, a chat window will pop up when an advisor is available.

If you can't get in contact with chat, please get in touch from an alternative phone.

Enjoy the rest of your trip, Leanne.

by garethnettleton
Explorer

Hi @Leanne_T - thanks for picking this up. @Cochi's advice on the work around does seem to have sorted the problem for me. I am now connected to T-Mobile and am getting both 3G and 4G signal again. 

However, there's definitely still an issue with US / california roaming overall here. Feels like it's something to do with the automatic preference for AT+T. There's a tecnical bug somewhere in the system and I wouldn't have solved it without getting advice from this board. I'd urge you not to think this is solved - the work around is just that unfortunately - the underlying issue (that lots of your customers are experiencing 'No Service' when automatic carrier is selected when roaming in the US / Califonia) is clearly still there. 

Thanks 

Gareth

Investigator

Hi @Leanne_T,

My wife is currently in an area where she only gets "AT&T(Forbidden)". So the workaround doesn't work because she can't manually connect to T-Mobile. She will try once she gets to a different area with maybe more providers. With this in mind I agree that even if this workaround is successful for some, there has to be a bigger underlying bug in the system that's causing all this trouble for people at the most inconvenient time...

Thanks for continuing to look into this further asap.

Best,

Christoph. 

by

Morning @cschmitt82 @garethnettleton

Thanks for coming back an letting me know.

To get this looked into further you would need to contact our customer service team who can get this investigated.

You can chat to us by logging into your My EE account on your phone's browser (not the app) or a computer.

Once you're logged in, a chat window will pop up when an advisor is available.

If you can't get in contact with chat, please get in touch from an alternative phone.

Thanks, Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.