by Eugenesoch Investigator
Investigator

Roaming in Lithuania

Hi EE community.

It has been more than a year now since the problem occured. None of my friends or family members can use their phones in Lithuania. We can dial any number whilst visiting the country except local mobiles or landlines (numbers start with 00370 or +370). 

Any other numbers work, but local numbers don't. It causes a ton of issues. It seems that threads here exist for years now and nothing has been sorted for now. I am highly dissapointed with this, as this is ongoing issue with no clear end. Does anyone know what is actually happening and when it is going to resolved?

Also, EE advertise everywhere that roaming should work as normal, so I feel now as this is leading many people into confusion when chosing mobile provider. 

Thank you for your answers.

12 REPLIES 12
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Roaming in Lithuania

@Eugenesoch wrote:

It seems that threads here exist for years now and nothing has been sorted for now.

Had you searched this forum here you would have found it said by an EE Community staff member. @Jon_K , in can't make calls from abroad only a month ago that:

Due to reasons beyond our control, calls to local Lithuanian numbers while in Lithuania are currently barred.

We don't currently have an estimated timescale on when this will be lifted.

Presumably that still applies.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

That's not good enough sadly.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Eugenesoch   It’s not just EE but you’ll blame EE anyway, it’s the network operators there also that need to resolve thIs.   Ask yourself why it doesn’t work, have the networks there blocked EE devices from calling local numbers ?  Can you call them when your in the UK ?  

I’ll just like to highlight this for you. 

“Due to reasons beyond our control, calls to local Lithuanian numbers while in Lithuania are currently barred”

reason beyond our control.   Or put another way.  Reason beyond EEs control.    

Investigator

As an end user I do not really care about reasons 'beyond their control'.

What infuriates me is how my friends with other networks use their phones freely.

If the issue persists it MUST BE MENTIONED upon signing the contract. Now it clearly says there are no exceptions. Can someone please explain me this?

Now instead of backing EE could any one of you jump into our shoes and try to imagine being our situation. I bet you wouldn't be happy.

We pay money, we want it to work. If it doesn't - we want to know exactly why, when it is going to be fixed. And it isn't going to be fixed - we want to know our options, as now I and many others feel like we have been misled by the information on the website, tied in a contract and not being able to use a service.

Investigator

And to add more to the equation - I can ring to any Lithuanian number from the UK and receive calls when in The UK. 

If they have a problem with networks - let the end user decide how to solve this. If it will cost me money to use my phone abroad - I will happily do so. Imagine being stranded without mobile, having to buy a local sim and carry additional phone when abroad? And once again I will stress - it never says anywhere on the T's and C's of roaming about the issue. 

Investigator

Screenshot_20190505_014958_com.android.chrome.jpg

And it still says nothing on the official website. Ans issue has been there for years.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Eugenesoch   Then perhaps the network operators there should unblock EE devices from being used on their networks. It’s the network there that allows the device your own to work on their network.   It’s beyond EEs control if the network there doesn’t allow your device to work there and they probably don’t work on their network there are probably asking EE for more money to allow this to work.  But you keep blaming EE.  

When it’s mentioned it’s beyond our control that implies it’s not EE that’s not allowing this to work.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Eugenesoch    Where does it say calls to Lithuanian numbers it says calls to Roaming zone A.  Nothing in there is about calls to Lithuania numbers.    It says what it’ll cost to call/receive/text/mms/data/Apple Music while in or to roaming zone A and out of Europe,   Nothing about calling a Lithuanian number from within Lithuania.  

Investigator

I am sorry Chris, but this sounds ridiculous. This has never been issue with EE until recent years. No other network has the same problem, but EE. What are you trying to say - if I am traveling to any EU country, including Lithuania, I will not be able to use my phone to call local numbers, i.e. Taxi, Hotels, Friends, family, etc? This does not make any sense whats so ever. On top of that - I can dial ANY number from Lithuania - Spanish, German, UK - any number, except Lithuanian whilst visiting Lithuania. Do you see my point? And for some reason I have no problems ringing to Lithuania from The UK. On top of that I have recently been visiting Spain and didn't have any issues to call Spanish numbers whilst being in Spain. It's a problem with roaming only in Lithuania. And there is no clear timeframe when it is going to be resolved. No one really cares about the issue, except saying that 'it is out of our control'. In other words - 'we know about the issue, but will not do anything about it. Deal with it'. That is how I and my friends feel about this situation. 

by CheshireChap Investigator
Investigator

I'm with Eugensoch here - just arrived Vilnius to work here briefly and can't call anybody in Lithiuania. How on earth was I meant to know that the mighty EE was in a squabble with local providers? It's an EU country, up pops the phone signal, the name of the provider and 4G (which does work) - then I need to call my colleagues/the hotel/a taxi etc from the airport and it just doesn't work. And yes, I blame EE, or at any rate it's their problem to solve. I know for sure it doesn't affect Vodafone customers, and how the heck can I sort it out - phone Telia LT and tell them to get it sorted out or else? That'll work. I pay EE, not Telia.

Investigator

Hey there,

Yep, it's still an issue, but I found a solution - which kind of works for me, as I have quite a few numbers that I frequently use.

The cause is that apparently some numbers (entire series of numbers) have been barred due to fraud. 

And because numbers have been barred simply by taking specific suffix (i hope this makes sense), many numbers that never had anything to do with fraud were affected.

There is a workaround - you need to ring EE CS, ask to be connected to Level2 and they will be able unblock your desired numbers.

It says it takes effect within 72 hours, but in my case most of it worked within 24 hours.

It is a shame though, there is no information available when purchasing the contract and the advisors on the phone have no clue most of the time and in many cases blame us, users, that we 'do not understand' roaming rules of roaming...

Hope this will help you with a little. 

by CheshireChap Investigator
Investigator

@Eugenesoch Thank you! That's a good workround. I can certainly get by with a few core numbers to start off with. Interesting background you give about scams - the numbers I want to use are almost all companies, long-established ones, but then that would make them ripe for scamming, I suppose.

So how come EE doesn't block the thousands of spam/scam numbers in the UK? 

On a completely different note: what a beautiful city! Great food and lovely people too.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.