by LegendaryAced Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Roaming in Greece - Internet speeds

Hello,

I have been on holiday in Greece for about a week now and in the past couple of days I've been having speed issues which affect certain apps.

Initially, when I arrived I was able to connect with Wind GR (third network in customers) and Cosmote (the main network). Speeds were very good for a roaming service topping at 60Mbps.

When the speed problems started, I was only able to connect with Cosmote. Speeds have now dropped to just 2Mbps and they consistently top 2Mbps, which creates issues for certain apps. This is definitely not the experience someone would expect from a premium network like EE.

I have tried manual select and I am only able to connect with Cosmote now. I have two lines and they both behave the same way. The speed problem persists to all areas I have visited. Local SIMs works great, as I visited a shop and they demonstrated speeds that topped 150Mbps with a demo phone. 

EE telephone and chat CS refuse to log this as a problem as they are insisting that EE cannot control foreign networks. I completely understand that, but this problem is not a congestion problem of the local network. There is something wrong in the connection between the local network and EE or some sort of speed cap imposed.

I was in one of the old Max Plan, until I moved to the new Max Plan on the 15th of June 2017. My second line is on the old WiFi Max Plan and has exactly the same behaviour.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

LegendaryAced

11 REPLIES 11
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Roaming in Greece - Internet speeds

@LegendaryAced  It’s not the EE network your using there and the speeds will depend on that network. 

by Sevenarth
Visitor

Same here. I'm in Italy for holidays and I have been experiencing the same problem since yesterday! I have an EE phone and a Vodafone phone. The Vodafone works great with 60Mbps in download, EE worked great till the other day, but today is capped 2Mbps in both up and down.

Why this? Because of this the ping got awfully to 200ms or more. Loading times are infinite and it gets pretty annoying

Established Contributor

@Chris_B it is not the local network capping the speed. Local SIMs and customers from VF UK roaming in Greece are very speedy. I am gathering proof that proves EE is capping it or has changed the agreement they have with the local network.

Data roaming sends all the data back to the home network first and then it goes to the destination server. This is a fact of how this service works. So EE has the ability to cap speeds. I am not sure how legal that is without mentioning it in the terms and conditions, therefore allow me to investigate this further and seek help via the legal route on my return.

It is impossible to be local network's congestion problems or link saturation back to UK that consistently gives a speed of 2Mbps, even at 4am.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@LegendaryAced. Your not being speed capped by EE when abroad if your using a max plan.  

Established Contributor

@Chris_B I am on a new Max Plan (one of the ones released on 10 May 2017).

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hello @LegendaryAced and @Sevenarth

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community today. Smiley Happy

You are correct, EE are currently capping roaming speeds in the EU. They annouced this a while ago but until the new EU roaming regulations came into effect on the 15th June 2017, no-one knew how fast the roaming speeds would be.

"4GEE Essential and 4GEE customers will get our standard roaming speed abroad - fast enough for streaming video, uploading photos and browsing. 4GEE Max customers will get our fastest available speeds at home and abroad. But please note: maximum speeds will be dependent on the local network and may not be as fast as at home."

However, because you have one of the new Max Plans, you should not be facing any speed restrictions. Smiley Frustrated

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@LegendaryAced EE is not capping max plans and the speed is dependent on the network your using as stated by @Inyourbox

Established Contributor

@Chris_B apparently I do have a speed cap and I am on the 30GB new Max Plan (released on 10 May 2017)

@Inyourbox I have a Max Plan and 2Mbps is extremely slow. Some apps struggle and video calling is poor. I tried downloading a Taxi app about 50Mbytes and it took minutes to complete download. It sounds unreasonable and non-Max Plans would probably suffer if they are even slower, but that is irrelevant as I am on a new Max Plan.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

I completely agree with you @LegendaryAced! Smiley Happy

I'm on a Legacy EE Extra Plan and when I visit the EU, I'm going to be capped at 2Mbps. I find this completely unreasonable, while EE state it should be "fast enough for streaming video, uploading photos and browsing" which is already proving to be incorrect. However, EE Extra and non-Max Plan customers can experience full data speeds abroad outside of the EU as they pay either £4 or £5 a day for the Travel Data Pass, which proves that EE are only speed capping customers because they are being forced by the EU to provide free EU roaming to customersSmiley Mad

While I appreciate this is irrelevant as you're on a new Max Plan, I did state you shouldn't have any speed restrictions in place. I was providing the information to you, so you can feed this back to EE customer service when they state that there is nothing wrong.

Established Contributor

I will try calling 150 tomorrow but I doubt I will get too far because they denied to log this issue and kept insisting that the local network is either congested or gives priority to its own customers.

Where did you find this statement @Inyourbox ? I will point it out to them when I call for the 5th time tomorrow.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hello @LegendaryAced

I found the information here. You need to scroll to the bottom and you will see the following:

"What data speeds can I expect when roaming?

4GEE Essential and 4GEE customers will get our standard roaming speed abroad - fast enough for streaming video, uploading photos and browsing. 4GEE Max customers will get our fastest available speeds at home and abroad. But please note: maximum speeds will be dependent on the local network and may not be as fast as at home." Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.