by davidhomer Contributor
Contributor

Roaming in Costa Rica and Nothing in EE works

I'm begining to realise I've made a mistake signing up with EE.

1. I have a business account.
  2. I'm in San Jose, Costa Rica.
  3. Network Selection is set to Automatic
  4. The network selects as Kolbi ICE with full bars
  5. There is no E, 3G, or 4G symbol next to the connection.
  6. Mobile data roaming is enabled, Enable 4G is for voice and data.
  7. I received a text welcoming me to Costa Rica from EE stating my Travel Data Pass is active and I will be charged every day.
  8. Data does't work, manual selection of carrier doesn't work only this Kolbi ICE connects.
  9. I can't receive or make calls - the phone just plays a recorded Spanish message.
  10. I can't receive business calls customers just get a recorded Spanish message.

Then... the EE support failure - you can't open live chat you just go around in circles, I've told EE on Twitter as it's the only way you can contact them without a working phone none of their numbers work. So now I've spent the day trying to get fricking data to work on this phone and wasted pretty much a whole work day still waiting for someone to call me though I doubt it will work as my phone won't accept calls.

EE please can you cancel your **bleep** service (I have 24 months left!!) for me and allow me to move back to Three???!!!

23 REPLIES 23
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Roaming in Costa Rica and Nothing in EE works

Did you activate roaming on your EE a/c before you left UK?

Try logging into your My EE account online & go to Menu / Manage Device / Roaming Abroad and also Call Abroad and Premium rate. They will show as ticked if roaming and calling abroad is activated. If they are not ticked, can you activate these settings?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @davidhorner. 

Welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear your roaming is not working in Costa Rica. 

Have you been able to follow the great advice provided by @XRaySpeX?

Are you connected to a local network?

Speak soon, Katie 🙂

Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

> Did you activate roaming on your EE a/c before you left UK?

Yes it should be working I've roamed in the EU last summer with the same phone, Texting ROAMING to 150 reports that I'm setup and working. When I arrived I recived a message stating that I was Travel Data Pass and that I would be charged per day.

> Try logging into your My EE account online & go to Menu / Manage Device / Roaming

> Abroad and also Call Abroad and Premium rate. They will show as ticked if roaming and ?> calling abroad is activated. If they are not ticked, can you activate these settings?

Here's my settings but two of the options are greyed out, and the explanations of what the options do is confusing I can't understand whether they should be greyed out or not?

Manage Device2.png

Also I don't have an answer about Live Chat not working.

Thanks,

Dave

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@davidhomer have you upgraded since you last roamed or missed any payments ?

Contributor

Hello,

OK so I've managed to get a call back and we have several bugs on EE's side.

BUG: The "international and premium" feature was disabled when it should be enabled.

BUG: Sending ROAMING to 150 should have reported a feature wasn't enabled rather than reporting everything was setup.

BUG: Live Chat for personal users just shows the opening times and doesn't actually work at the moment.

BUG: Live Chat doesn't show as an option for business users at all.

UI Improvement: The controls for devices is a mess and needs clarification because the options that are greyed out cannot be set by users and the UI should state this, you have to call EE to get this done.

Thanks,

Dave

by

Hi @davidhomer

Thank you for providing this, it looks to be a problem with the way your online account has been set up. 

I have sent you a private message for further information, please take a look and get back to me. 

Speak soon, 

Katie 🙂

Contributor

Katie I've just had a call back and they said they'd fixed the issue but now I have 3 phones in My EE.

I think people need to be aware that EE is not fit for purpose for business users.

I don't want another call back, I want the complaint reopened ID9958106 because it isn't fixed and I want bug tracking on the other bugs I've raised so I can actually use Live Chat rather than a message board this isn't suitable for business support.

Bugs2.png

Contributor

Right I want out of this business contract.

Please provide me with the contact details for a business manager if I can't operate abroad your business service is worthless and your systems simply don't work messaging technical support over twitter is ridiculous.

Contributor

Got a call from technical support who told me the problem was I wasn’t putting +44 at the front of the number.

i pointed out that has nothing to do with data, they told me to turn the phone on and off again and they’d call me back.

I’m still waiting I’ve been up since 4am today and it’s now three days without this working. 

PLEASE SOMEONE FIX THIS SO I CAN ACTUALLY DO SOME WORK

by

Hi @davidhomer

I have sent you another private message. 

Katie

Contributor

Your support team have now just walked away mid support and left me waiting for an hour. You've admitted liability on the faults that I've reported both with my account, and your support platform. You've flat out refused several requests by myself to escalate this to management and you clearly can't provide service. I have contacted my bank to cancel the direct debit payments and informed them you are refusing to provide service. I suspect this will lead to legal action from you but you leave your customers with no choice.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Are you the bill payer for this a/c? That, maybe, is why you can't change the roaming flags.

@davidhomer wrote:

You've flat out refused several requests by myself to escalate this to management and you clearly can't provide service.

This iis a user discussion group, not CS. It does not fix issues in EE system but does offer advice & guidance. Remember that I, as a user, led you to the roaming flags in your MyEE which have turned out as the root cause of your problem.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

> Are you the bill payer for this a/c? That, maybe, is why you can't change the roaming flags.

Yes I'm the bill payer. As stated previously the flags cannot be changed by users, this is a UX issue in the My EE site.

> This iis a user discussion group, not CS. It does not fix issues in EE system but does offer > advice & guidance. Remember that I, as a user, led you to the roaming flags in your MyEE > which have turned out as the root cause of your problem.

This isn't the root cause of the problem, the issue is the bugs in the EE platform that I've reported previously, and that still hasn't resolved the problem.

I've asked for escalation to management and EE have refused. I have since just paid for office space and telephony here to work as EE clearly can't be used for business.

Contributor

Current issues reported to EE:

BUG: The "international and premium" feature was disabled when it should be enabled.

BUG: Sending ROAMING to 150 should have reported a feature wasn't enabled rather than reporting everything was setup.

BUG: Live Chat for personal users just shows the opening times and doesn't actually work at the moment.

BUG: Live Chat doesn't show as an option for business users at all.

UI Improvement: The controls for devices is a mess and needs clarification because the options that are greyed out cannot be set by users and the UI should state this, you have to call EE to get this done.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@davidhomer wrote:

I agree! I have never understood why EE believes that users going roaming would not want to make calls whilst abroad. The 2 go hand in hand. On top of putting you at risk by also allowing Premium Rate calls.

The whole concept of the "Call Abroad and Premium rate" flag needs to be urgently rethought by EE.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@davidhomer wrote:As stated previously the flags cannot be changed by users,

Some users have reported that they have successfully changed them. Maybe business a/c's don't allow you to.

Contributor

EE are useless, it's completely unacceptable for them to not have online support and to refuse support escalation and to hang up on a support call and leave me waiting for an hour.

> Maybe business a/c's don't allow you to.

Who knows? Certainly not EE, they don't know how their own systems work.

The access controls UI is ridiculous their whole setup is completely outdated.

I can't understand how they're one of the Big Four in the UK, £5bn a year revenue from mugs like us.

Well I'm out now, they can take me to court for not paying. I'll be writing a formal complaint when I get home and they can have my bills for wasted time and replacement telephony services.

Thanks for your help.

Contributor

OK so an update after 10 days

1. It turns out that the problem is that EE doesn't support data roaming in Costa Rica. Shame their staff are so ill informed they wasted so much of my time.

2. The live chat seems to have been hacked out of the web site I guess they can't get it working.

3. I've hassled them into unlocking my phone so I can pay for a Kolbi ICE SIM card.

What a waste of ten days of agro with your phone company when you're away. Three people I met here from the UK had the same issue including a young woman.

It's disgusting that they'd let a young woman like her get stuck alone travelling in a foreign company without a way to call for help. Morons.

Avoid and goto Three or one of the other big three in the UK, EE is so broken.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@davidhomer wrote:

1. It turns out that the problem is that EE doesn't support data roaming in Costa Rica. Shame their staff are so ill informed they wasted so much of my time.

Then shame also that they lead you to believe it does on https://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/call-or-going-abroad/roaming-costs/countries/costa-... .

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.