by Glenn2 Investigator
Investigator

Roaming add on not working abroad

Currently in Costa Rica and have purchased a £5 roaming data add on on order to access the Internet when not using the hotel's wifi but it isn't working. 

I'm still unable to access the Internet or other online features. Roaming settings and mobile data are on, have tried turning phone off and on etc but still won't connect without the wifi.

I received a confirmation message the bundle has been added to my account but hasn't seemed to have activated. 

Require it in 6 hours when I leave the hotel to use the map features! 

9 REPLIES 9
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Roaming add on not working abroad

@Glenn2   Did you activate roaming before you left the U.K. ?   Purchase add ons doesn't mean the device will work when abroad.  

by Glenn2 Investigator
Investigator

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes roaming was already activated. 

The text I received when I landed (copied below )made a point of saying to use the Internet I would need to purchase an add on and gave me details if how to do so. This suggested if I purchased the add on I would be able to exactly use my device abroad.....

Welcome to Costa Rica. Calls cost £1.50/min to make/receive. Texts 50p to send, pic msg 50p. Cust Service +447953966150 (£1.50/min), 112 for emergency. To use the internet you need to buy a data add-on. This gives you a set amount of data and when that runs out we ask you if you want more. So you know what you're spending up front and there's no chance of an unexpected data bill. 

For an add-on that lasts 24 hours, send a text for free to 7626 with the code: 

D1 (to get 5MB for £5)

D2 (11MB £10)

For an add-on that lasts 7 days text:

D3 (20MB £20)

D4 (45MB £40).

Thanks.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Glenn2  Sorry but I've got to say this are you really going to consider paying that for any of these data add ons ?   5MB for £5 you could use that in a matter of minutes.  

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Glenn2,

Welcome to the EE Community.

Have you tried manually selecting a different network or switching off 4G in your mobile network settings?

Thanks

James

by Glenn2 Investigator
Investigator

Not considered, I have...a fiver. 

I needed the GPS function for a couple of hours today and £5 would have been worth it had it worked.

I did the same in San Francisco last year on the same phone and it worked fine. Best fiver I spent on that holiday actually. 

What other option would I have then to allow me to activate this function??

by Glenn2 Investigator
Investigator

Hi, thanks for the reply. I've just tried both of your suggestions and neither seem to make a difference. There is only one network available to me here. 

Could my location be a factor? There was no suggestion in EEs message that this may not work if I buy the add on.

Any advice on how I can be reimbursed for the wasted  £5 I spent?

I bought the same bundle last year in the States and it worked fine...

Many thanks. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Glenn2   

Just to check have  you tried turning off 4G ? 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Glenn2,

It could be a local network issue.

If you get in touch with customer service, they'll make sure you are refunded for the add on you couldn't use.

Thanks

James

by Glenn2 Investigator
Investigator

Hi, yes @Chris_B 4G is now turned off but I'm still offline.

@James_B Thanks, I'll get in touch and hopefully get a refund. I needed to be online earlier and have no requirement for it now anyway.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.