by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

Roaming Fair Usage questions

Sorry if these questions have been answered before:

1. Does the FUP also apply to non-EU countries (eg USA, Mexico).

2. Does the Fair Usage limit start over when you reach your billing date. For example say you were roaming between the 1st and 15th of the month and your bill date was the 8th, could you use 15gb between the 1st and 7th and then another 15gb between the 8th and 15th.

The FUP isn’t crystal clear for the second question.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor
Solution

Re: Roaming Fair Usage questions

OK - just to let everyone know I went over 15GB of data in Mexico and I received no text message regarding Fair Usage, was still able to use data and haven't been changed so the FUP must only apply to EU countries.

10 REPLIES 10
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@sully1311

I thought the FUP was clear on the second point.

Once you’ve used your fair use policy amount when roaming, we will notify you and surcharges will apply to continue using data when roaming in our Europe Zone.

The surcharges will last until you exhaust the remainder of your domestic data allowance, return to the UK, or until your next bill date (whichever is earlier).

So in your example you get 15GB between the 1st and the 7th, then on the 8th (your bill date) you get another 15GB

For part 1, I assume you are talking about MAX plan users that have inclusive data, and the FUP applies to them too.

by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

Thanks for the info @chistery.

one more question you may know the answer to. On New Max Plans can you make and receive inclusive calls in in those 5 extra countries to local landlines and mobiles?

by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @sully1311

Thanks for coming back to the community.

If you have a Max plan started after 10 May 2017 and visiting one of the 53 countries included you can use your allowance for calls to local landlines and mobiles within the country you are visiting.

Full full information see our EE Roaming charges for the country you are visiting and what will be included within your plan.

Thanks, Leanne.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@sully1311 As @Leanne_T has said, you can make inclusive calls in the country you are in, and also to any of the other inclusive countries as well.

So if you're in the USA you can call Mexico, USA, New Zealand, Sweden, UK, etc. all as part of your inclusive minutes.

Happy Travelling!

by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

Could someone confirm if the FUP policy applies to the 5 extra countries included in Max Plans? I’ve just noticed the welcome text message that I received when I reached Mexico has no mention of it but the messages I received in both Portugal and Italy mention it.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @sully1311

Hope you're having an amazing time 🙂

Do you have a data allowance over 15GB at the moment?

Leanne.

by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

@Leanne_T Yes I do. The fair usage policy states it only applies for the Europe Zone and obviously Mexico isn’t in Europe. The welcome text also doesn’t make any mention of it whereas texts I received when in Portugal and in Italy do:

Mexico text:

Hi from EE. Just a reminder that while you're in Mexico you can use your plan minutes, texts and data allowances at no extra cost. Other charges are the same as when you're in the UK.

Call +447953966250 for Customer Services (free to call) & 112 in case of emergency. Have a good trip!

For the best possible network coverage please make sure your handset can automatically select a network. If you need help to do that, go here: http://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device

Portugal/Italy:

Hi from EE. Just a reminder that while you're in Portugal you can use your plan minutes, texts and data allowances at no extra cost. Calls to countries outside the EU are £1.20 per min and texts 50p each. Other charges are the same as when you're in the UK. You can use up to 15GB of your data allowance abroad in the EU - click ee.co.uk/fairuse for more info.

For the best possible network coverage please make sure your handset can automatically select a network. If you need help to do that, go here: http://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device

FUP:

If your domestic data allowance is greater than 15GB, a fair usage policy of 15GB whilst roaming in our Europe Zone will apply (i.e. you can use up to 15GB from your allowance while roaming). Once you’ve used your fair use policy amount when roaming, we will notify you and surcharges will apply to continue using data when roaming in our Europe Zone.

So could you check with the roaming team to 100% confirm that it doesn’t apply or if it does the policy needs to be reworded so it’s not ambiguous regarding non-Europe countries included in the Max Plan (ie USA, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand and Canada) and also the welcome text should state this too.

by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

Hi @Leanne_T

Yes I have more than 15GB.

I ask because the FUP is very ambiguous as it only states that it applies in our Europe Zone and the non-EU Max countries aren’t in Europe and aren’t in the same paragraph as the countries supplied in the Europe Zone.

FUP:

EUROPEAN ROAMING
Inclusive roaming benefits are available to UK based customers only.
Our Europe Zone presently includes:, Austria, Azores, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus*, Czech Republic, Canary Islands, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guyana, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madeira, Malta, Martinique, Mayotte, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Reunion Islands, Romania, San Marino, Saint Martin (French), Saint Barthelemy, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Vatican City (Italy).

*Note Turkey (you may connect to a Turkish network when in Northern Cyprus) and Andorra are outside the EU/EEA and not included in our European Roaming Zone. Therefore, any calls made from either of these countries, or from Northern Cyprus if connected to a Turkish network will be chargeable.

If you have an EE 4GEE Max plan you will also be able to take your inclusive allowance to Australia, Canada, Mexico, New Zealand and the USA.
You can call 150 free of charge when roaming in the EU/EEA/Switzerland to get information about our charges. Emergency services can be contacted within the EU/EEA/Switzerland by calling 112. If your device is compatible with WiFi Calling, you will not be able to use it for WiFi Calling when outside the UK.

Fair use amount

If your domestic data allowance is greater than 15GB, a fair usage policy of 15GB whilst roaming in our Europe Zone will apply (i.e. you can use up to 15GB from your allowance while roaming). Once you’ve used your fair use policy amount when roaming, we will notify you and surcharges will apply to continue using data when roaming in our Europe Zone.

——————

Below is the welcome text I received in Mexico:

Hi from EE. Just a reminder that while you're in Mexico you can use your plan minutes, texts and data allowances at no extra cost. Other charges are the same as when you're in the UK.

Call +447953966250 for Customer Services (free to call) & 112 in case of emergency. Have a good trip!

————

No mention of the FUP whereas the texts I received in Italy and Portugal mention it: 

Hi from EE. Just a reminder that while you're in Portugal you can use your plan minutes, texts and data allowances at no extra cost. Calls to countries outside the EU are £1.20 per min and texts 50p each. Other charges are the same as when you're in the UK. You can use up to 15GB of your data allowance abroad in the EU - click ee.co.uk/fairuse for more info.

—————

Could you get 100% confirmation from the roaming team that it doesn’t apply or if it does get the wording of the FUP changed as it really isn’t clear and the welcome text should mention the FUP as it text says you can use your allowance?

by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

Hi @Leanne_T any update on the above?

by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor
Solution

OK - just to let everyone know I went over 15GB of data in Mexico and I received no text message regarding Fair Usage, was still able to use data and haven't been changed so the FUP must only apply to EU countries.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.