by Hanif_92
Explorer

Receiving calls from the UK in South Korea

Hi, 

I'm currently in the South Korea with a Pay As You Go EE SIM card. 

I've received texts saying that it will cost £1.50/min to receive calls, but I read on this forum that receiving calls from the UK while abroad is free. Is this true? 

What will happen if I answer a call from the UK, considering that I have not put any credit onto my PAYG SIM?

Appreciate any help/advice on how best to receive calls from the UK on PAYG. 

Thanks in advance 🙂 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Profile closed
Not applicable
Solution

Re: Receiving calls from the UK in South Korea

Yes, you are indeed charged for all incoming calls whilst you are roaming outside the EU.  It’s only when you are roaming within the EU that incoming calls are now free on all plans.

If you are on PAYG and haven’t topped up though, anyone trying to call you won’t get through to you at all.

You also won’t be able to send any texts either as those are also all chargeable whilst you are roaming outside the EU.

You should still be able to receive texts, buts that’s about it.

5 REPLIES 5
by Profile closed
Not applicable
Solution

Yes, you are indeed charged for all incoming calls whilst you are roaming outside the EU.  It’s only when you are roaming within the EU that incoming calls are now free on all plans.

If you are on PAYG and haven’t topped up though, anyone trying to call you won’t get through to you at all.

You also won’t be able to send any texts either as those are also all chargeable whilst you are roaming outside the EU.

You should still be able to receive texts, buts that’s about it.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, it's not true. What you may have read is that receiving Voicemails but not listening to them while abroad is free.

You will not be able to receive calls whilst you have no credit.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Hanif_92
Explorer

Thanks for your reply. My phone rings when I get incoming calls from the UK. Does that mean if I answer we will just not be able to hear each other?
by Grand Master
Grand Master

I'd expect you'd be cut off immediately as you have no credit to pay for it. Try it, you've got nowt to lose.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for coming to community @Hanif_92 🙂

I hope the great help and support given my @Profile closed and @XRaySpeX has taken care of all your questions.

Hope to see you back here again soon.

Cheers

Richard

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.