by KMCassidy Investigator
Investigator

Re: EE Roaming - Help when abroad with your EE phone or device

I bought new SIM card in UK and put into an unlocked Australian phone. Followed all activation procedures but it just won’t work in France. I received welcome texts from French network and can receive texts but not send them, make calls or use an data except when connected to wifi. What a waste of money and very frustrating ok holiday to have no maps etc on phone walking around. I have followed all trouble shooting things and still no service. Very frustrating 

10 REPLIES 10
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @KMCassidy

Welcome to the community.

Which troubleshooting steps have you tried?

Have you tried manually selecting a different network?

Device type Actions
iPhone Settings > Mobile Data > Network Selection > Turn off Automatic
Android Settings > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Operators > Tap OK
Windows Windows – Settings > Mobile Network > Network Selection > Tap on start manual search

Chris

Investigator

Hi Chris,

I have turned phone off/on, put in pin for SIM card, turned on data & roaming, turned off auto search then back onto auto, tried different providers, tried sending “roaming” to 150. Tried calling customer service on UK..... get message saying “sorry, calls are barred from the number”! I seem to have 4G on phone from server Orange in Paris but it does not connect to Internet. Spirals/thinking circle but nothing happens. Texts don’t send, phone never rings but every now and then I get a message saying someone has called but I have no idea how to access their messages. I’m gutted!!!! My father purchased the same sim in London and has same issue. So we’ve basically wasted 2 lots of £25 which is around A$50!!! You can see on my account that I have not used and calls, texts or data since activating 5 days ago. K

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@KMCassidy : If you are on contract, did you activate roaming on your EE a/c before you left UK by texting ROAMING to 150?

Often just rebooting the phone is the simple remedy. Otherwise try logging into your MyEE account online & go to Menu / Manage Device / Roaming Abroad and also Call Abroad and Premium rate. They will show as ticked if roaming and calling abroad is activated. If they are not ticked, can you activate these settings?

PAYG is auto enabled for roaming. You don't need to & can't do any of the above.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by

Hi there @KMCassidy

Thanks for coming back to us.

Is the SIM on pay as you go?

If so, did you make a call, send a text or use data in the UK before travelling to activate the SIM?

Leanne 🙂

Investigator

Thanks for trying to help me, I appreciate it. I purchased a pay as you go card at the airport. So, tonight automatically roamed in Europe. I also thought I used some data in UK before  departing for Europe in the hope that is activated. 

Thanks, Kara 

Investigator

Thanks for trying to help. When you say re-boot do you mean turn phone off and on or take out SIM card completely? I have definitely turned off phone. It is pay as you go so hope roaming works automatically. I thought I used some data in London before I left so hoped that started the ball rolling. But nothing seems to make it work and I keep getting message saying calls are barred from the number?!!?!? Other friends who bought the card said that they just used it and has no issue 

Investigator

Hi Leanne, 

I thought I did use a little data before I left UK. 

Im hoping I did. 

K

by

Hi @KMCassidy

Yes, by reboot, I believe @XRaySpeX meant turning the phone off and on.

Did you try the manual network search that I posted earlier in the thread? Trying a different operator might help.

What kind of phone are you using?

Chris

Investigator

Thanks Chris, 

yes have turned phone on and off

yes have tried manual provider search

but will try again

its an iPhone 6

we are moving to Germany tomorrow. Maybe we might have better luck but don’t want to hope for anything more! 😥😩

by

Keep us posted on what happens, @KMCassidy.

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.