by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Can’t text or call from France

Hi @Nottsfisherman,

Welcome to the EE Community.

It does sound like it could be related to the bar on your account.

Please login to My EE where you can chat with customer services online.

They'll be happy to take a look at your account and find a solution for you.

Thanks

James

9 REPLIES 9
by Nottsfisherman Investigator
Investigator

Can’t text or call from France

I’m on holiday in France with an iPhone 7 on a pay monthly contract. I have data roaming switched on - on my phone and on my EE account, and 4G switched off. Network selection is set to automatic. However I am progressively losing services. First I lost the ability to send texts although I am still receiving them. Now I can’t make calls either although again I can receive them. When I dial I now get a recorded message in French saying that the calls fall outside my subscription - although they definitely don’t. Any suggestions please?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Nottsfisherman  Login to your online account and make sure international and premium rate numbers are enabled.  Also on the device go to Settings>Phone and make sure dial assist is switched on.   You can leave 4G enabled if you wish as his is only your connection type if 4G is available in the area your in if there is no 4G in that area the device will switch to 3G or lower. 

Investigator

Thanks. All done, except that premium rate calls are disabled. EE did this at my request because I was being pestered by unsolicited premium rate texts that charged £4.50 a week until I actively opted out of them. Do you think that’s the problem?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, Premium Rate calls should be a separate opt-in/out from International.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Nottsfisherman The enable of international and premium rate is all under one option.

You opted out of or another way to put it blocked  3rd party billing from your account you should still be able to call premium rate numbers. 

Investigator

Thank you both. Sadly then i’m no further forward. Something I do find strange. Texting may well have been inoperative from the outset. However I made a number of successful phone calls here before the problem with calls began. I’m not sure what that means but I think it’s likely to be a useful clue to something!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Nottsfisherman  Have you tried just restarting the device?  

Investigator

Several times, Chris. No effect. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hello @Nottsfisherman

Sorry to hear you're having problems while roaming in France.

I assume you're connected to "Orange F", have you attempted to manually roam onto another network? Also, are you making sure you replace the "0" with either +44 or 0044?

For example, 07973100123 would be +447973100123 or 00447973100123.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.