by MCWILLIAMS72 Investigator
Investigator

Phone stopped working abroad

Hi,

I am working overseas in Colombia and need to use my phone. It was working fine in Bogota when I was connected to the local network telephonica, now I am in santa Marta and this network is not available (I have checked manulally). I am now connected to Movistar (the only one that allows me to connect) but cannot recieve or send texts, or make calls. If this cannot be sorted asap I will have to change networks - my colleagues are on two different UK networks and both of their phones are working fine here when connected to Movistar.

Thanks,

Chris

9 REPLIES 9
by
EE Employee

Re: Phone stopped working abroad

Hi and welcome to the Community @MCWILLIAMS72

So I can try and help, please may I get you to turn off 4G.

Please also can I get you to try and ring using 0044.

If these do not work, please let me know if you are using an EE personal or business account.

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

Hi Lee,

Thanks for getting back to me,.

I am using a Moto G and have already disabled 4G (using 3G only).

I am using the correct country codes (0044 for UK numbers, and 0057 for colombian).

I have a persoanl account with EE (Tmobile customer).

Thanks,

Chris

by
EE Employee

Hi @MCWILLIAMS72

How long have you been in Santa Marta for?

I would advise monitoring the situation for the next 24 hours to rule out any local issues.

If this does continue, please do give Customer Services a call using an alternative handset.

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

I have been in Santa Marta for 24 hours, but have been out of Bogota for several days and the phone has not been working.

I would rather not pay to contact customer services. Can I use live chat, or another method? This must be an EE problem with Movistar since my colleagues phones are working without problems.

by
EE Employee

Hi @MCWILLIAMS72

I understand your frustration with this issue.

Live chat is unavailable to T-Mobile or Orange customers, calling would be the only way to contact us regarding this matter.

It does seem very strange that you were able to use in Bogota but since then you are having issues.

Have you tried the normal like popping it into airplane mode and then back to normal?

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

Yes - so when I turn flight mode off (or reboot the phone) it briefly comes up with full signal and the 'R' icon to indicate roaming. The 'R' then disappears and I get a 'No service' notification from the phone stating that "selected network (movistar) unavailable". However I still have full signal strength.

by
EE Employee

Hi @MCWILLIAMS72

I would recomend speaking to our technical support team.

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

Ok. Thanks for your help.

How can I arrange for EE to call me on an alternative number? I should not have ot pay since it is a network problem.

Thanks,

Chris

by
EE Employee

Hi @MCWILLIAMS72

Here on the Community we have no access to any customer accounts, so we would not be able to arrange a call back.

Many thanks,

Lee

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.