by ExpatPR Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Payg EU roaming

I have payg SIM I use once a year when I travel to the UK, normally for a couple of weeks. I keep enough credit to keep the number active while I'm home in the US and add a pack when I'm in the UK. If i visit the UK after June 15th, will I be able to start a pack in the UK and be able to use the data and text allowances if I visit the EU for a day or two? Also, if in go straight to the EU for a couple of weeks without going to the UK first, would I be able to add a pack and use it?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Employee
Solution

Re: Payg EU roaming

Hi @ExpatPR

The pay as you go plan can be used to whilst in Europe, I will have a word with @Leanne_T tomorrow about what she has found out.

Many thanks,

Lee

12 REPLIES 12
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi, 

@ExpatPR

If your number is active and you have pack active on your account yes you use that In EU after 15 June.. 

Many Thanks 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's not keeping credit on it that will keep it active. You need to make a chargeable call or text , use data or top-up at least once every 6 months, else it'll get deactivated.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for coming back to the community @ExpatPR.

Please see our hibernation post for full information.

Hope this helps 🙂

Established Contributor

Thank you for the quick response but I think I wasn't clear with my question. I know how to keep the SIM card active and I have a routine to insert the SIM while in the US every 160 days to send a text. My question is since I'm not in the UK 24/7, can I still use the payg SIM in the EU with included roaming? Most of the time I do stop in the UK first and then travel to the EU for a day or two. The second question is what if I travel directly to the EU for a couple of weeks or a month, could I still use the EE SIM card with included roaming?

by

Hello there @ExpatPR.

Thank you for explaining that for me 🙂

For pay as you go I will need to find out for you.

I will get back to you as soon as I get this confirmed 🙂

Thanks, Leanne!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, @ExpatPR, after June 15 you may use your UK Pack allowances in the EU. Glad to see you already know how to keep your PAYG SIM activated,

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

Thank you @Leanne_T,

I just don't want to assume It's ok to use the SIM in the EU and be surprised later. I know that if I was in the UK 24/7 it wouldn't be an issue. I do hope I can avoid having to buy multiple SIMs. My wife's retires next year and we are planning to travel more often, and longer, to Uk and the EU. 

by

Hello @ExpatPR.

I will certainly let you know when I hear back 🙂

That sounds lovely hope you have an amazing time!

Speak soon.

Established Contributor

Hi @Leanne_T,

Any more information yet? We are planning a trip to the UK and Spain in December but we might start in Spain first. Would the UK SIM work for us there or only once we make it back to the UK? If we start in the UK first, would the SIM then also work in Spain?

by
EE Employee
Solution

Hi @ExpatPR

The pay as you go plan can be used to whilst in Europe, I will have a word with @Leanne_T tomorrow about what she has found out.

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

Sorry for the late response. I wanted to close the loop and say that the SIM card worked as advertised. I landed in Spain and I was able to use the phone without issues for the week I was there. I then flew to London and, as expected, was able to use the phone there too for two weeks. I was even offered a deal for unlimited data for the remainder of my pack. 

by

Thanks for the update @ExpatPR

It's great to hear everything worked as intended for you. Smiley Happy

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.