by tazsol Investigator
Investigator

Pay as you go roaming doesn't work in Hungary

Hi there,

I have purchased a pay as you go sim in London, and I wanted to activate it yesterday in Hungary, to be able to make and receive calls from the UK with it. I have topped it up with 10 pounds, the pack can be seen in myEE page (2GB data, 100 minutes call, unlimited text) however, when my friend tries to call me from this mobile in London, it is automatically redirected to voicemail, and I'm also unable to send texts or start any outgoing calls with it.

I have checked that I'm able to switch to any mobile networks in Hungary with the SIM (T-Mobile, Telenor, Vodafone, etc.), but each time when I'd try to make an outgoing call, I got the message - Calls to this number are barred.

I have also checked my phone settings, international calls are not barred.

Could you please help me with this issue?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Kind regards,

Zsolt

6 REPLIES 6
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Pay as you go roaming doesn't work in Hungary

Hello @tazsol ,

Welcome to the community,

Unfortunately, the SIM card has to first be activated in the UK and used in the UK before you can use it in another country, you cannot expect to buy a UK SIM card and then activate it in another country, this just will not happen.

Outgoing calls will be barred as you did not activate it in the UK first and your friend in London when calling you will automatically be redirected to voicemail, sorry, but as I wrote above, you should have activated it here in the UK first.

by tazsol Investigator
Investigator

Dear @Schockwave,

Thank you for your quick response!

I will return to the UK only next month - until that, is there any way I could use my phone number? 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@tazsol , the only thing I can suggest is getting a Hungarian SIM card. I doubt there is anything else you can do to get it to work. You could ring EE customer service, but I suspect they will tell you the same as I have told you. Not sure why people think they can activate a SIM card in another country other than the country they have bought it from, sorry, but you are not the first nor will you be the last.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @tazsol

Welcome to the community.

I see @Schockwave has advised you correctly about our registration process.

We cannot guarantee that the SIM will work abroad when not registered in the UK first.

Our Mobile Care team will do their best to help you though.

Let us know how you get on.

Chris

by tazsol Investigator
Investigator

Thank you very much for all the responses!

I have come back to the UK, now I have used the SIM for calling / texts / mobile data.

Do I need any other process to activate the card, or now I can freely us it in Hungary next week?

Kind regards,

Zsolt

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @tazsol,

Yes, you'll be able to use your SIM in Hungary now it has been activated in the UK.

Thanks

James 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.