by rianlagan Investigator
Investigator

Overseas voicemail and call forwarding - Australia

Hi all Smiley Happy

I am moving to Australia for at least 12months next week - and was wondering can I divert any calls that come to my pay monthly EE iphone 6 onto my new Australian phone number that I'll have with a network provider there.

If not - I'm guessing the most logical solution is to just leave things as they are and ring numbers/family back in the UK from the Australian phone number (I'll probably get some sort of add on for overseas calls to UK).

If someone leaves me a voicemail on my UK phone will it cost me to listen to it etc out there? I will probably be using my UK mobile as little as possible, it will probably stay in the house and won't be with me! My pay monthly contract was coming to an end so I just went for the cheapest pay monthly sim only (£10.99 a month) contract EE have, so that I can keep my number, I've had it for years! I'll just use the wifi in the apartment on this phone - never cellular data - although I am aware I have to send a text or make a call at least once every while.

appreciate any response,

Rian

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Overseas voicemail and call forwarding - Australia

@rianlagan  If it’s a contract you don’t need to make a call once in awhile as your paying for it still.

you can setup call forwarding but you’ll be charged for international calls.  

9 REPLIES 9
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@rianlagan  If it’s a contract you don’t need to make a call once in awhile as your paying for it still.

you can setup call forwarding but you’ll be charged for international calls.  

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for answering this and helping @Chris_B

Cheers

Richard

🙂

Investigator

Cheers @Chris_B!! Many thanks.

Ok - So I'm guessing the best way is to just leave it - I won't be charged to receive texts or calls to my UK number out there?

Should I turn off roaming and keep on cell data? Or just use wifi in my new home for Wifi calling.

Sorry for all the questions! Just one more - voicemail query i mentioned above?

Thanks so much! I've spoke to someone on the phone about thisand couldn't get an answer from the EE customer service team.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@rianlagan  You’ll not be charged to receive calls from the UK.  

Youll need roaming on to use cellular data.   Most definitely use wifi it’s free. 

You will be charged to listen to voicemail.  It’s best just to turn off voicemails when abroad. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You will be charged, £1 / min, to receive calls whilst in Oz but not texts.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

@Chris_B @XRaySpeX

The cost of buying a new phone and getting a contract over there is very expensive I'm told - upwards on $1000 AUD. 

My current iphone 6 is only a 16GB and is currently at full capacity - I've tried to minimise storage and even purchased extra icloud storage (50GB) at 50p per month I think - but this hasn't solved it, my phone memory is still pretty full.

As I said I won't be using this phone much out there and will be getting a new one with bigger memory as I've had the phone for 2 years now.

Is the most logical thing to do - buy a new phone here in the UK that is unlocked and bring it out with me to Australia - then just get a sim from one of the network providers there? Does EE sell unlocked phones without any plans, no? Carphone Warehouse or something may be best...

by
EE Employee

Hi @rianlagan and welcome to the community.

The only people that will sell the device with a true unlock are Apple directly 🙂

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Watch out for CPW. They sell SIM-free phones that lock to the 1st SIM activated in them.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

With whatsapp, hangouts, imessage, skype, etc there should be no need to ever pay intrernational call rates.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.