by tiylaya
Explorer

Orange phone not connecting in Australia

Hello,

I'm spending 6 weeks in Australia. When I first arrived in Sydney my phone (on Orange PAYG) connected just fine. Within a day it had switched to "SOS only" or "No Service" and for the last six days I've had no roaming. I don't think it can be a credit issue since a) I didn't use the phone since getting here, and b) I had >£50 credit when I left the UK. I'm confident roaming was active on my account since I used it in New Zealand just before Christmas.

Now, I was going to log in and check my account status, but the orange online account access has shut down. So I registered for "myee" as instructed by the website, but I cannot "add a device" since it keeps insisting my phone number isn't recognised.  I tried downloading the myee app via wifi and it worked out my number was an Orange number and took me back to the "your orange account has closed down, use myee" webpage. So I feel like I'm going in circles.

Any advice would be welcome.

9 REPLIES 9
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Orange phone not connecting in Australia

Hello @tiylaya did you turn off mobile data? You will be charged £8/mb(!) to use data in Australia:

http://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/call-or-going-abroad/roaming-costs/countries/austral...

What phone do you have? Have you restarted it since landing?

Information on what to do when havibg problems using your phone abroad can be found here:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Roaming/EE-Roaming-What-to-do-if-you-re-having-problems-abroad/td-p/66...

by tiylaya
Explorer

Hello there.  Thanks for answering.

Yup, data has been turned off since before I arrived in Australia.

I have an iPhone 4S.  It's been restarted a couple of times.

And yes, I've followed the usual instructions, turned automatic network selection on and off and on again, and done the other things the webpage recommends.  Hence my frustration.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

When you performed a manual network search did any networks load underneath? Were you able to select any even if it did not give a signal?

by tiylaya
Explorer

Indeed. Vodaphone, Optus and Telstra all appear in the network list when Auto is turned off, so there's definitely signal. One didn't respond at all when I tapped on it.  The other two connect but as "No Service" or "SOS-only", which suggests they know the phone is there but don't want to talk to the account. I've never seen this behaviour before.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

There is now no online access for Orange a/c's. You can't register MyEE for an Orange no.

See Orange Your Account closure - explained .

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

When was the last time you used the phone? Have you used it or topped it up within the last 6 months?

You can perform a network reset by tapping settings>general>reset>reset network settings (clears saved Wi-Fi passwords).

by tiylaya
Explorer

@tm90: Topped up two weeks ago. Used for text messages ditto.

I have to say that the need to change plans to access myee was spectacularly unclear from the information on the website (obviously it's plain in the message you shared, @XRaySpeX, but was not clear from information provided to users before the online system closed, or from the endless circle of website redirects that being an orange user now involves - all that suggested the transition would be seamless). 

Oh well, I still have no idea why my phone won't talk to the networks here.  I suspect I'll have to wait till I get back to the UK in mid March to find out and change networks.

Thanks for trying to help.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

You can contact Orange customer service abroad on +44800 079 8586 or +447973 100450.

I will also tag in the EE communiteam in case they can offer any assistance. @Christopher_G @James_B @Leanne_T @Lee_H @Richard_C

by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @tiylaya

I can see you have tried everything you can to get this working.

We would need to get this looked into further for you.

If you can call us from another phone on +44 (0) 7973 100 450 .

The team will be able to get this looked into for you.

Thanks, Leanne 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.