by blueymarie Investigator
Investigator

No signal Colombia

Had my phone in Nicaragua and Colombia for 2 months. Was receiving messages in Nicaragua. Received a couple when I first arrived in Colombia. Then I’ve had ‘no service’ for around 3 weeks now. I’ve travelled the whole country including huge cities. Everyone else’s phones working around me. Not looking to pay for add-on, but do urgently need to receive a security message text for online banking as I have no money currently and no phone to call anyone! Similarly, I missed an important message from a friend that has cost me the price of another flight. I can see this is a common problem amongst EE users. I have switched my phone off/on, manually selected different carriers, reset network settings, turned off 4g, turned on data roaming. Gone through entire diagnosis on EE site. I’ve spent most of the last few weeks of my travels trying to sort this. Your online chat isn’t working, it tells me only your opening hours but no option to chat (even within hours), I’ve had a lady on Twitter say there’s not much they can do on social media (it’s my only way of contacting you!!!) and no, I can’t borrow another traveller’s device. Can you help me today as it’s getting pretty desperate. I simply need some reception. The automatic option sends me to Movistar for seconds and then back to ‘no service’. Nothing happens with Tigo or Claro. If this is a known problem, please tell me now to save us the time. Thank you. 

12 REPLIES 12
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: No signal Colombia

@blueymarie

Are you on PAYG or EE pay monthly account? 

Did you activate roaming before leaving the UK? It may also be you are outside your account roaming allowance or hibernation if PAYG.

If you don't want to use someone else's phone then use a pay phone / hotel phone and speak to EE during UK opening times.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Investigator

Use a hotel phone? That’s a wonderful idea! I didn’t think of that! There is no hotel phone because I’m in a very poor area of Colombia and there is no such thing as a hotel or a telephone. But the other travellers here have full service, as they did in all the cities I’ve stayed in where I’ve had the same problem. So nothing to do with location. Received texts and had signal in Nicaragua and first couple of days here, like I said, so roaming is on (I’ve also checked in my account). I am definitely outside ‘free’ roaming but I’m only looking to receive messages and phone calls (and make emergency calls if I need to). Sorry for the frustration but I’ve explained this in so much detail so many times to different people who don’t seem to be able to help. Maybe someone can take me a step further?

Investigator

Ps. Pay monthly. Again, I’d be a bit of a **bleep** if I’d just run out of minutes! I’ve been through long-winded diagnoses. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @blueymarie,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble using your phone in Colombia.

Unfortunately, we aren't able to access your account via the community.

If you login to My EE between 8AM and 9PM UK time, you can chat with customer services online.

Hope this helps.

James

Investigator

Hello James,

Thank you. Do you see my frustration in sending a lengthy message and still needing to repeat all the details, as I have done to technical support in emails too. Online chat isn’t working. It simply tells me the hours. Which is now. But there is no option to chat. Technical support have refreshed my account settings and I at least have ‘Movistar’ appearing, but no signal. It seems I am simply stuck here with no money and no phone. 

by

Hi @blueymarie,

Are you trying to access chat via My EE or the get in touch page?

Thanks

James

Investigator

Nothing comes up on either. Just a list of telephone numbers or the opening hours. No option to chat. 

by

Hi @blueymarie,

If you stay logged in to My EE, the chat option should pop up when an agent is available.

As a member of our technical team is already looking into this for you, it may be easier for you to keep in touch with them directly via email.

Thanks

James

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@James_B Live Chat appears to be geo-blocked, I'm waiting for confirmation but I can't get it to appear when I'm using a VPN and a non UK server.

by
EE Employee

Hi @chistery,

This still happening when logging into MyEE?

Many thanks,

Lee

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Lee_H Yes, I tried it just before my post. If I pick a USA VPN server and log into MyEE, live chat option doesn't appear and I can't see it under contact us. Change to a UK one and I get the live chat option and it appears under contact us.

by
EE Employee

hi @blueymarie

Can I get you to try one more thing, in a web browser please activate private browsing/ incognito mode.

Does this help?

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.