by allanreid31 Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

No service error abroad

Hi all,

My wife and I recently upgraded handsets & both have the Huawei P20 Lite.  We are just back from holiday in Tenerife and we both expierenced the same issues with our phones while there.  Basically, the phones would both work fine & connect to a network with 4G etc but then display 'No Service' after 10-30mins & this would not fix itself without either restarting the phones or enabling flight mode for a few seconds then disabling.  This fix would only last 10-30mins before the issue returned.

If I try to go to network setting in the phone while 'No Service' is dispayed, it indicates that no SIM card is present.  While this issue was present, the phones suffered huge battery drain, ran slow & suffered random restarts on a few occasions.

Strange thing is, this happens on both my wifes & my P20 Lite, other people we were with who are also with EE had no issues at all (different handsets).

Since returning to the UK there have been no issues. 

I have contacted EE tech support who suggested it may be a software issue and they directed me to Huawei.  I have contacted Huawei and they advised that I buy a local SIM while abroad to check how that behaves or try a factory reset.  I see no point in sourcing a SIM abroad as I should be able to use my current SIM (it worked fine in my previous handset) & can't see how a factory reset will solve anything, given that the issue was observed on 2 handsets.

I have attached a couple of screenshots showing the issue.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I haven't been able to get very far with EE & Huawei support thus far.

Capture1.PNGCapture2.jpg 

34 REPLIES 34
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: No service error abroad

@allanreid31  You will get battery drain when the device says no service as the device is searching for a network to pick up and this drains the battery.   I’m not sure if you can do a network reset on that device but doing a device reset would of definitely helped.  

Valued Contributor

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.  I understand that battery drain would be observed when the phone is trying to obtain a network however this scenario seems a bit unusual as the phone suggests there is no SIM, therefore if it thinks there is no SIM, how can it then be searching for a network.

I also agree that a factory reset would generally be recommended for these types of issues when it happens in isolation, but with the issue being present on 2 separate phones?  

It's a very strange issue.  Just for additional info, this is definitely not an overheating issue.  I also tried disabling 4G and manually selecting networks, but to no avail.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @allanreid31

Thanks for coming to the community.

I would suggest calling our technical support team again so we can get this looked into further for you both.

Let us know how you get on.

Leanne.

Valued Contributor

Hi @Leanne_T. I appeciate your reply however the EE tech support team were adament that the issue doesn't lie with the EE network or SIM therefore could offer any advice other than to contact Huawei which I have done & got nowhere.  I sent 45 mins on a call to EE tech support with no success so I have no idea what I am supposed to do now.  I also went into an EE store but they said I need to call EE as they can't do anything in store.  I feel like I am just being passed from pillar to post, hence why I thought it might be worth reaching out to the EE community.

If I can't get anywhere, i'll need to contact EE resolutions department to either have contract terminated or get a new handset.

by

Hi @allanreid31

Thanks for coming back to me.

Have you tried a factory reset?

Also, have you had any problems since you have been back in the UK?

Leanne.

Valued Contributor

Hi @Leanne_T,

The phone(s) have been fine since returning to the UK & were fine before but they were unusable for the entire duration of our 10 day stay.

I guess my only options are to try a factory reset and get a new SIM and see how it goes next time i'm abroad.  Hopefully everything goes ok because I will be on business & will be relying heavily on my phone.

by

Hi @allanreid31

Can you check your all set up to use your phone abroad just in case.

To do this go into your My EE online > Manage Device > Roaming and call abroad and premium rate.

These should both be set to allowed.

If you can do this for both numbers,.

Are you going abroad soon?

Leanne 🙂

by Gstarr31 Investigator
Investigator

Hello, I am currently in Lanzarote with the exact same issue as you and your wife. Have you been able to find the solution? Only had the p20 lite for two weeks and so far it hasn't been very impressive! Exact same error messages as well and the same quick fix also works for me hoping my phone works back in the UK on my return.

by Gstarr31 Investigator
Investigator

Huaweii also do not seem willing to hwlp either with the issue.

by

Hi @Gstarr31

Thanks for coming to the community.

Is roaming showing as set up on your account.

To check this log into your My EE online

Then select Manage Device > Roaming and call abroad and premium rate.

Is this showing as allowed?

Leanne.

Valued Contributor

Hi @Gstarr31,

I'm so glad you came across my post as now hopefully EE will finally be convinced that the problem is related to the handset, it seems fairly conclusive.

@Leanne_T,

I have checked my EE & can confirm that roaming is set to allowed.  Given that @Gstarr31 is also experiencing the exact same issue (with the same handset) how would you advise we proceed.  I am confirdent that a new SIM or handset factory reset will will resolve this issue, there is obviously an issue with this handset while roaming.

@Gstarr31 Have you spoken with EE tech support?  They told me they couldn't do much troubleshooting now I am back in the UK but since you are still abroad perhaps they can do more?

by Gstarr31 Investigator
Investigator

Read more

Yes I've spoke to them especially as it's a business number so I need my phone hopping on WiFi is not a great alternative. Have you been able to speak to anyone at Huwaeii I believe it could be a bug in the latest emui software after some investigation.  I'm glad it isn't just me having this problem it's driving me crazy... I've tried my SIM in another device and it works perfectly so it's either a software or EE problem. Huwaeii live chat is neither use nor ornament and I haven't had signal long enough to call the hotline if you give that a go would you be able to let me know the outcome. There is also someone on another forum talking about this same problem and there seems there is no fix so not exactly sure who the problem lies with. When I spoke to EE I mentioned your forum post hope you don't mind and they said all my settings were set up correctly so I'm stuck in the same loop until Thursday. If you get to the problems solution would you be able to post. Also is your device on EMUI 8.1 I believe we should be getting an update soon.

by Gstarr31 Investigator
Investigator

And in reply to Leanne, please don't bother with the factory reset the problem still persists.

by Gstarr31 Investigator
Investigator

Screenshot_20181023-161420.jpg

Valued Contributor

Hi @Gstarr31,

I spoke to Huawei but only via online chat. Total waste of time to be honest. Told me to buy a local SIM while abroad to try that or factory reset.

I am chatting to EE online as we speak but they are simply refusing to believe that there is a problem with the P20 Lite.

If i get nowhere i will call EE & Huawei this evening when I get home.

If links are allowed on here, could you please post a link to the other forum you found?

My phone is currently on EMUI 8.0.

by Gstarr31 Investigator
Investigator

It's absolutely crazy someone needs to accept responsibility; huwaeii flat out refused to help on there chat so let me know how a phone call goes with them. Currently I have service back after a short time on aeroplane mode very annoying.  As you can see my SIM works perfect for a short amount of time so I agree either the roaming or a bug on the p20 lite device. I wonder if it is just EE users having this problem

@allanreid31 wrote:

Hi @Gstarr31,

I spoke to Huawei but only via online chat. Total waste of time to be honest. Told me to buy a local SIM while abroad to try that or factory reset.

I am chatting to EE online as we speak but they are simply refusing to believe that there is a problem with the P20 Lite.

If i get nowhere i will call EE & Huawei this evening when I get home.

If links are allowed on here, could you please post a link to the other forum you found?

My phone is currently on EMUI 8.0.

.Screenshot_20181023-163833.jpg

Screenshot_20181023-163833.jpg

Valued Contributor

Hi @Gstarr31,

I saw you posted the link but I wasn't quick enough and it looks like the moderators have removed it!  If you don't mind could you email it to allanreid31@gmail.com?

I can't see your screenshots for some reason but it sounds like your symptoms are identocal to mine.

Now off chat with EE, they offered me £20 for the inconvenience which I refused.  I said I need a new handset (not a P20 Lite) which they said is not possible.

I will try to call them tonight but it looks like I might have to raise a complaint.  They either give me a new handset or release me from contract because I need a reliable service abroad.

When you spoke to EE, have they been able to run any diagnostic checks?  They said that if I contact them while abroad they will be able to diagnose.

by Gstarr31 Investigator
Investigator

Yes, I believe so. Have had all my network settings checked and there seems to be no problem that what makes me feel like it is either roaming or a software bug. On a forum elsewhere I also read that there was a bug in a recent software update but apparently that was resolved on most devices think it could be worth giving huwaeii a ring too! Seems like there middle range phones are lagging on updates.

Valued Contributor

Hi @Gstarr31,

Just spoke to Huawei. They did not acknowledge that there was a known issue with the current software however they did say that a new build has just been released yesterday. I asked if the release notes for this update said that this issue is addressed but they couldn't confirm, apparently just that it addresses 'various glitches'.  

The new build is ANE-LX1 8.0.0.151. I am currently on ANE-LX1 8.0.0.147. Apparently the update should be rolled out over the next 2 to 15 days!

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.