Help I dont understand

Going on a cruise to Norway germany from uk then on to Russia

Will my phone work aand will I be charged for roaming

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: New Eu roaming on cruise ships

From tomorrow you can use your UK allowances in the EU, but not on the cruise ship. For roaming rates whilst on the cruise see https://explore.ee.co.uk/roaming/ee/maritime . However if you are in reach of land you may be able to pick up an EU network & use that as within your allowances.

Before you leave make sure you have roaming enabled on your a/c by texting ROAMING to 150 & following its instructions.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Employee

Good Afternoon @harrypalmer66

Welcome to the Community! Smiley Happy

Sounds like it'll be an amazing trip!

You'll need to make sure Roaming is set up on your phone before you travel - you can do this by sending ROAMING to 150.

After the 15th of June you'll be able to use your inclusive minutes, texts and data in EU countries as you would at home. 

For more information see - Roaming on EE.

For costs outside of the EU and Maritime (this is what it's called on the cruise ships) you can search on the Roaming costs page.

Hope this helps - let us know if you need anything else.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by harrypalmer66
Explorer

Sorry please clarify

What are the maritime costs and would i need an add on ?

Also when I dock at an EU port will I pickup the EE signal ?

Many thanks

by
EE Employee

Hi @harryplamer66 

The costs for cruise ships can be found on our maritime roaming page

You are unable to purchase add ons for calls and texts whilst at sea.

You will receive a text message when you transfer from the ship mast to a land mast.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Barmy Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi Harry

I was cruising round Norway mid May. I had the EuroPass, which you now don't need. If you have roaming set up then you will pick up the local provider which works with EE. I think its Telnor in Norway, they are very good, strong 4G signal even in small towns at the end of fjords. My best advice for when at sea or you can't get a land signal, is to put your phone into Airplane mode. I forgot once and now have £1.21 on my bill because I tried to log into Facebook for about 10 seconds.

Enjoy your cruise

by
EE Employee

Hi @Barmy

Good shout in regards to Norway as the fjords are positioned well to pick up a land mast.

Did you venture to Flam on your cruise? 

Many thanks,

Lee

by Barmy Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi Lee

The cruise company I was with don't go to Flam. We went to a lovely village called Skjolden and then Geiranger at the end of the Geirangerfjord both had really great 4g. Also went to the cities of Stavanger, Alesund and Bergen. Needless to say they had great 4g too. Smiley Very Happy

by
EE Employee

@Barmy

If you do happen to go on a cruise again, do try and pop to Flam.

You won't regret it.

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.