by Stuartatee Investigator
Investigator

Network in Yellowknife, Canada

Has anyone recently tried to use their phone on 4GEE Max plan in Yellowknife, North West Terratories, Canada?

My phone connected in Vancouver to ROGERS network, but since arriving in Yellowknife it refuses to connect to local networks, TELUS or Bell. I have tried to sort this problem using EE help and local network advisors and the consensus is that it is a provider/network problembut nobody knows how to fix it. 

I’ll be interested to hear any comments from the community. 

15 REPLIES 15
Investigator

Re: Which Canadian network do EE piggy back on when using data in Canada?

I have found, to my cost, that my EE SIM does not connect to TELUS or Bell networks that are available in Yellowknife, Nort West Terratories, despite the best efforts of on line chat with EE and local advisors. It appears that something has changed to the networks in this area. In Vancouver all was well with ROGERS and the best that I can do is to buy a local SIM plan.

If anybody has any advice or thoughts on my predicament, I would welcome some help as I have a few days left in this stunning part of Canada.

by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Network in Yellowknife, Canada

Hi @Stuartatee.

I hope you're having a great time in Canada 🙂

Both TELUS and Bell would be the networks that we recommend, do you get an error message when trying to connect?

Is there anyone else using a UK mobile with you?

Hope to hear back form you soon.

Jon

Investigator

Thanks for your reply Jon.

I have "No Service" message every time I try to connect to the local network when using automatic or manual search. I have also tried with 4G disabled, all with no success. Also tried a soft reset , again not successful.  I have read that the was an issue sometime ago with iPhones not connecting to networks after being in airplane mode, but my iPhone connected toTelus ok when another SIM was inserted.

My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime on 3G with a BT SIM that automatically connected to Bell network when we arrived in Yellowknife 6 days ago, but unfortunately she is not on a plan to use her phone in Canada.

Is there anything else that I can try? I think the problem is still network related, do you have any information on the service in Yellowknife?

Thanks

Stuart

by

Thanks for getting back to me @Stuartatee.

I'd agree that since your phone has already connected to one network in Canada, it's unlikely to be a problem with the phone.

Have you tried to reset your network settings?

Since your wife's phone is working, it would be unlikely that there is a problem in your current location too.

Are you able to contact our customer service team at all?

Jon

Investigator

Hi Jon,

I think I tried resetting my network settings, I did a soft reset on the handset, is that what you mean?

I spent 90 minutes with the customer service team, Harmit tried his best but to no avail. 

by
EE Community Team

Hi @Stuartatee,

A soft reset would help this issue too.

To perform a manual network selection  on an iPhone go to  – Settings > Carrier > Toggle Automatic OFF

It is strange that it is only in this one area your phone isn't connecting if you have used it fine in other parts in Canada.

Our live chat team are here until 11pm GMT who will be able to check your account settings

Alex

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hello @Stuartatee

Sorry to hear you're having problems using your phone in Canada. Smiley Sad

The network reset @Jon_K is referring too, can be done by following these steps:

Tap Settings > Scroll down and tap General > Scroll down and tap Reset > Tap Reset Network Settings > Tap Reset Network Settings to Confirm.

Please be aware, when you preform a network reset, you will lose all of your saved WiFi passwords and your iPhone will restart.

I hope this helps. Smiley Happy

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

To my knowledge of going back home to Canada that EE has a roaming contract with Rogers.

I have never once connected to any other network.

Saying that I never had an issue with signal even when driving through the rocky mountain roads.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Investigator

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I am fairly sure that I have tried everything that has been suggested, sometimes twice! Even my online chat with EE services did not fix my problem.

For future reference I have tried the following to fix my "No Service" message:

- taken the SIM card out, then inserted again

- switched off Automatic search/selection in Mobile Network

- tried manual selection of mobile networks TELUS and Bell; Rogers is not available in Yellowknife 

- aeroplane mode switched on then off

- disabled 4G, tried manual network search and selection

- switched off data roaming

- performed a soft reset

As I have mentioned before, when another SIM was inserted by the local mobile network shop, my phone connected to TELUS with 4 bars of signal. When my SIM was re-inserted it had 4 bars of signal for 5 seconds, then No Service.

So if anyone has any other suggestions why my iPhone 7 with EE on 4GEE Max Plan updated with iOS 12.0 does not log on to the local network in Yellowknife, NWT, Canada, please get in touch. I'm here for 3 more days and I feel the answer is out there!

Cheers

Stuart

Investigator

After 11 days of “No Service” and frustration of not able to connect to local network in Yellowknife, I’m now in Vancouver and connected to ROGERS in 2 minutes. 

Very disappointed that EE technical team, via on line chat and the community, could not resolve my connection issues in Yellowknife. As the ROGERS network is not available in Yellowknife, I think there is a problem with EE customers connecting to TELUS or Bell. Local info told me this had happened before ie using ROGERS elsewhere but failed connections in Yellowknife. 

I hope EE can sort this issue for the next time I travel to Canada or I will be forced to change UK mobile network supplier. 

EE - the ball all is in your court. 

by rmdale Investigator
Investigator

I have the same problem in Hudson's Hope, can not connect to local Bell network (I have a Canadian SIM that connects without a problem, so it is not a signal problem), but connects no problem with Rodgers in Fort St. John.  Does EE now only have an agreement for roaming with Rodgers?

by rmdale Investigator
Investigator

This does not work in Hudson's Hope! Have EE no agreement with Bell or Telus?

by

Hi @rmdale

Welcome to the community, I hope you're having a brilliant time in Canada. 🙂

The latest information that we have is that we have an agreement with Rogers and Bell.

It sounds like your roaming is set up correctly, as you were able to connect in Fort St. John.

What kind of phone are you using?

Chris

by rmdale Investigator
Investigator

Chris,

I'm using an iPhone 6S, it works fine on Rogers and in the UK, but it won't work on Bell at all.  The onyl coverage in Hudson's Hope is Bell, so unless I can use that network I might as well cancel my EE contract.

Any ideas?

Richard

by

OK, thanks @rmdale

Could you try resetting your network settings and try again?:

Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings and follow the prompts.

You may have to re-set up your WiFi connections after this.

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.