by dorothie Investigator
Investigator

Network coverage abroad

So my husband and I are both Plusnet customers with mobile service provided by EE. We have different phones, Samsung and Sony.

Recently on holiday in India, Nepal and Bhutan.

Phones connected to Airtel in India, no problem

Unable to connect to any network in either of the other two countries.

This is not about data, just calls and texts. We were unable to select any of the networks available, just dumped out.

There is plenty of connectivity in these countries even in the mountains and remote areas. Locals and other foreigners alike, everyone was on their phones....except us! So please don't tell me there was a signal problem...there was plenty, but we got nowhere, even at the airports and major cities.

This caused us major communication problems whilst trekking.

Also, please don't suggest we had a handset problem and need to take the simcards out and other such rubbish.

We are seasoned travellers and know how to set up phones for roaming abroad etc. Years with Tesco mobile (O2) with no probs anywhere.

I can't get any sense at all out of Plusnet. I just need the answer to one question:-

Assuming EE have network coverage in these areas....is it Plusnet that haven't bought into this? If not, what else could be the problem?

Any answers gratefully received

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Employee
Solution

Re: Network coverage abroad

Hi @dorothie and welcome to the community.

EE does have a roaming agreement in Nepal and Bhutan, this can be confirmed on our roaming costs page.

You would need to speak to Plusnet in regards to this.

Many thanks,

Lee

4 REPLIES 4
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Yes, this is all down to PlusNet and if they have roaming agreements in those countries.  Even if EE have an agreement in a particular country, there's no guarantees that virtual networks who also use EE will have the same agreements in place.

PlusNet do state that they should have roaming coverage in both Nepal (band3) and Bhutan (band8) so as to why it's not working is anyones guess sorry?  Only PlusNet will be able to answer this.

Have you tried turning 4G (or even 3G) off?

EE only provide PlusNet with their mobile network coverage within the UK.  There's nothing EE can do when it comes to other operators who use their network unfortunately.

by dorothie Investigator
Investigator

We didn't have data roaming on as we weren't wanting to use any, just texts and calls.

In India we were connected to Airtel immediately on arrival. No adjustment necessary.

We then had no network availablity in Nepal and Bhutan. As soon as we flew back to India we were connected straight away.

I can't get any kind of sensible answer out of Plusnet. I suspect as you say that Plusnet does not have an agreement in these countries, but I can't get them to admit this.

I was just checking that EE definitely does have these agreements in place so I know where to target my complaint.

It's important we know when we leave the country whether we can get connectivity where we're going, so that we can make other arrangements.

by
EE Employee
Solution

Hi @dorothie and welcome to the community.

EE does have a roaming agreement in Nepal and Bhutan, this can be confirmed on our roaming costs page.

You would need to speak to Plusnet in regards to this.

Many thanks,

Lee

by dorothie Investigator
Investigator

Thank you!
It is also listed on their roaming costs page....but clearly something isn't right!
We were literally the only people we met who had no network connection!
Ncell in Nepal and Bhutan Telecom (I'm sure there are others) both have excellent coverage.We connected to Aircell in India no problems.
I'll try to get to the bottom of it.
At least if you know there's no coverage you can organise to get a local payg simcard  or something.
Thanks again for the info.Dorothie

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.