04-10-2019 09:04 AM
I am on a PAYG contract and have bought packs recently (i.e. my account is not suspended). The option to enable roaming is not available in MyEE (probably because I am a PAYG customer). I am currently in Germany and I cannot:
- Make phone calls;
- Receive phone calls;
- Send text messages;
- Listen to my voice mails.
I receive notification text messages when people call me but do not leave a voice mail message. When people leave voice messages, I receive a notification to call my voice mail (which I can't - I am told that calls to that number are barred from my phone).
I have tried to contact support through the live chat function but I only get a message that live chat is available Mon-Sun 8am to 11pm.
This is rather frustrating and it's concerning that I can't listen to my voice messages. Can someone please help me get the correct configuration to use my phone abroad?
04-10-2019 12:42 PM
Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂
Pay as you go accounts are automatically set up to use abroad.
Does your phone show that it is connected to a local network?
What happens when you try to make a call?
Was your phone working as normal in the UK?
04-10-2019 03:07 PM
Thank you for your response. To answer your questions:
- Yes, my phone is connected to the German Telefonica network (O2). Also, text messages with notifications from EE are delivered to the phone, so it is clearly on the network.
- When I try to make a call *from* the handset to a number, a voice message says “calls to this number are barred” or something to the effect. This includes the voicemail number, so I can’t listen to all the messages that have now piled up.
- When I use a different ‘phone to call my EE number, it goes straight to voicemail. If a message is left, a voicemail notification appears on the EE phone. If no message is left, a text messages notifying me of the missed call is delivered to the EE phone.
- The setup works flawlessly when I’m in the UK.
I hope you’re able to help resolve the mystery. At the very least I have to urgently deactivate voicemail to stop people from leaving messages that I can’t listen to.
04-10-2019 04:03 PM
Thanks for confirming this @NH4.
Are you able to manually connect to a different network to see if this resolves your problem?
Do you currently have an active pack?
What phone are you using?
04-10-2019 04:17 PM
Thank you for your message.
- Yes, I have manually changed to Telekom but the problem persists. (And I have also restarted the phone several times).
- I have a £15 data pack.
- The phone is a Blackberry Q5.
Thank you for your help.
22-11-2019 07:34 AM
I having exactlt the dame problem.
I have an active pack. But unable to do anything.
22-11-2019 07:52 AM
Hi there @Danokotl
Thanks for coming here.
Did you use the SIM in the UK to make a call or send a text before travelling abroad?
Where are you roaming?
Speak soon 🙂
22-11-2019 08:45 AM
22-11-2019 08:55 AM
no, i hadnt used the sim in the UK
22-11-2019 08:56 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.
Did you use the SIM in the UK to make a call or send a text?
Pay as you go SIM cards do need activated on the EE network before they can be used abroad, this can be done by making a call or sending a text whilst in the UK.
22-11-2019 08:59 AM
Just seen your reply @Danokotl
Thanks for letting me know.
The SIM would need to have been used within the UK as above.
Once you return and use the SIM on EE, your pack will activate, and you will be able to use the SIM.
22-11-2019 09:28 AM
Hi there @Danokotl
If you get in touch with our Tech Gurus from another phone on +44 (0) 7953 966 250, they will see if there is anything they can do to help.