by NH4 Investigator
Investigator

My roaming not working as expected: cannot receive or make calls, or send sms

I am on a PAYG contract and have bought packs recently (i.e. my account is not suspended). The option to enable roaming is not available in MyEE (probably because I am a PAYG customer). I am currently in Germany and I cannot: 

- Make phone calls; 

- Receive phone calls; 

- Send text messages; 

- Listen to my voice mails. 

I receive notification text messages when people call me but do not leave a voice mail message. When people leave voice messages, I receive a notification to call my voice mail (which I can't - I am told that calls to that number are barred from my phone). 

I have tried to contact support through the live chat function but I only get a message that live chat is available Mon-Sun 8am to 11pm. 

This is rather frustrating and it's concerning that I can't listen to my voice messages. Can someone please help me get the correct configuration to use my phone abroad? 

5 REPLIES 5
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: My roaming not working as expected: cannot receive or make calls, or send sm

Hi @NH4,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Pay as you go accounts are automatically set up to use abroad.

Does your phone show that it is connected to a local network?

What happens when you try to make a call?

Was your phone working as normal in the UK?

Thanks

James​​​​​​​

by NH4 Investigator
Investigator

Re: My roaming not working as expected: cannot receive or make calls, or send sm

Hi James 

Thank you for your response. To answer your questions: 

- Yes, my phone is connected to the German Telefonica network (O2). Also, text messages with notifications from EE are delivered to the phone, so it is clearly on the network. 

- When I try to make a call *from* the handset to a number, a voice message says “calls to this number are barred” or something to the effect. This includes the voicemail number, so I can’t listen to all the messages that have now piled up. 

- When I use a different ‘phone to call my EE number, it goes straight to voicemail. If a message is left, a voicemail notification appears on the EE phone. If no message is left, a text messages notifying me of the missed call is delivered to the EE phone. 

- The setup works flawlessly when I’m in the UK. 

I hope you’re able to help resolve the mystery. At the very least I have to urgently deactivate voicemail to stop people from leaving messages that I can’t listen to. 

Kind regards 

Nils

by

Thanks for confirming this @NH4

Are you able to manually connect to a different network to see if this resolves your problem?

Do you currently have an active pack?

What phone are you using?

Speak shortly, 

Katie 🙂

by NH4 Investigator
Investigator

Hi Katie 

Thank you for your message. 

- Yes, I have manually changed to Telekom but the problem persists. (And I have also restarted the phone several times). 

- I have a £15 data pack. 

- The phone is a Blackberry Q5. 

Thank you for your help. 

by

Hi @NH4

I have sent you a private message for further information. 

Speak soon, 

Katie 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.