by Iandonald101 Investigator
Investigator

My phone won't connect in Costa rica

Hi,  hope someone can help. 

Basically,  I'm in Costa Rica and I  can't connect to any network.  I'm sure I have roaming set up as it worked in the states in October and in Mexico not long before that. 

If it is a roaming thing then I also don't know how to contact customer services as the email form keeps throwing me out. 

Any ideas? 

I have data turned off,  I selected 3g as a preferred network as I read that may help. The phone can see the networks but I can't get connected (no bars of service). 

Thanks! 

11 REPLIES 11
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: My phone won't connect in Costa rica

Good afternoon @Iandonald101

Welcome to community 🙂

How is Costa Rica?

Have you performed a manual network search?

If you have, then this looks like Roaming hasn't been activated before you went away.

To help this stop from happening again in future, please see our EE Roaming - Getting ready to use your phone abroad post.

Please get in touch with our service chat team by selecting the EE drop down box and a member of the live chat team should be able to fix this.

Please let us know.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

Investigator

It's hot that's for sure! 

I managed to speak to a guy on chat and he seemed to think had fixed it. I rebooted and still nothing. 

I had roaming working on my contract in October as it worked in the states but I wonder whether it was turned off when I switched plans in February? 

by
EE Employee

I'm not in the slightest bit jealous @Iandonald101 Smiley LOL

If Roaming did need activated by the chat team it can take 24 hours to completely set up - so keep trying a reboot or manual search.

There is only one network available and it is very basic.

What phone are using?

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

Investigator

Yeah,  it's still not working. Been over 24hrs now and still nothing. Turned it off and in again loads. Manually been searching but it won't connect to anything that it finds.  It's a moto g4. 

by
EE Employee

Morning @Iandonald101

Sorry to hear it's still not working.

Can you try removing and re-inserting the SIM card to see if this helps.

It may also be worth turning the device to 2G only.

It could be an issue with the network in Costa Rica.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

Investigator

Yeah,  done that.  My main issue at the moment is ee chat.  It's driving me crazy! Keep getting cut off. Plus the email form requires an account number which I don't have with me. 

No one will tell me if there is a local problem. Then I can stop trying and just get a local sim,  not that I should have to really. 

My wife's phone,  also ee,  also won't connect. 

Looking at this forum others seem to have the same issue here. 

It's odd,  the phone can see the 3 available network suppliers but it won't connect to them. 

Arggghhh! 

by
EE Employee

Hi @Iandonal101

@Karen_C is investigating this issue as we speak, soon as she has any news we will be back in touch.

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

Thank you. If I know it's an issue then I can stop trying. I can do without for a couple of days,  then I'm driving again and I'd like to have the phone working. 

by
EE Employee

Investigator

Is anyone any closer to seeing why nothing is working over here? 

I'm driving quite a long way tomorrow and I wanted a phone as emergency contact.  If not I'll need to buy a local sim,  but I'd rather not. 

by
EE Employee

Hi @Iandonald101

I understand your frustration with this issue.

I know @Karen_C is chasing this up, I will see if she has any news when she is back in tomorrow.

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.