by njvannuys Investigator
Investigator

My Galaxy S7 Edge will not even look for a signal in the US.

Hello and my apologies ahead of time for the convoluted explanation of my issue which I'm about to describe. I am currently in the United States on holiday for the next 8 days and my phone will not even attempt to search for any mobile networks while here. I just moved to the UK over the summer from the US and am currently on a pay-as-you-go plan in which I kept my phone from the states (a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge which orginally was on a Sprint plan) and just had the SIM card swapped to an EE SIM.  My wife, who has an old iPhone 4, is able to connect to the T-Mobile network over here but my phone continually shows the "triangle with an X" to show that no networks are available (or that the phone isn't even searching for any), and I'm puzzled as to why this is.

I stopped by a T-Mobile store yesterday to see if they could help.  They swapped SIM cards to test it out and the phone wouldn't even read either of the ones they inserted. The manager also inputted the manual settings to connect to T-Mobile's network and this was unsuccessful as well.  

My first thought was that I wouldn't be able to roam internationally while over here due to the fact that I'm on a pay-as-you-go plan and/or I didn't go to an EE store before our trip to see if any preparations needed to be made to have the phone ready for international roaming.  However, since my wife's phone connects to the network, it doesn't make sense that mine won't connect.

My final thought is that there's just something wrong with my phone in the first place as I had to go back in to the store to have manual settings installed just to get it to connect to the EE network shortly after we began our pay-as-you-go plans.  Also, to this day, every time I go to work, my phone will at some point during the work day lose connection to the EE network and show the triangle with the x icon at the top of my home screen indicating that it's no longer searching for any networks.  The weird thing is that every day when I leave work, the phone doesn't just reconnect to the network as one would expect it to once I leave my workplace, I actually have to do a full reboot once I get home EVERY DAY because otherwise it will just continue to show the trinagle with x icon as it just stops attempting to connect to a network until I reboot. 

Again, my apologies for the convoluted book regarding my situation, but I'm hoping somebody has an idea of how to tackle these problems. If I can't use mobile data while in the states, that's not a big deal since my wife has access to this and we're only here for another week, however I'm sure this issue is connected to the issues I've been having while back at home in the UK so it would be nice to get some solution to those. 

Thank you!

-Nate 

7 REPLIES 7
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: My Galaxy S7 Edge will not even look for a signal in the US.

Hi @njvannuys

Thanks for taking the time to join and post in community 🙂

I really appreciate the detailed post and it helps diagnose things when you give so much information.

In my opinion, this sounds like a handset issue.

Have you tried the SIM in another handset?

Cheers

Richard

🙂

Investigator

Hi Richard, 

Thank you for the quick response!  Definitely a handset issue.  As I mentioned, the representatives at the T-Mobile store tried a couple SIM cards in my phone yesterday with no luck. I just swapped my SIM card to my wife's iPhone and it picked up the T-mobile network with no problem, so it's definitely not a SIM card issue.  Could it possibly have something to do with Sprint not properly unlocking it before I moved to the UK this past summer?  Again, if I have to go without data for the duration of our holiday here in the US, that's no big issue, but I would like to figure out how to prevent it from continually dropping off the network completely and forcing me to reboot when I'm back in the UK, so any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks again!

-Nate

Investigator

Oh, I completely forgot to include this.  Every time my phone reboots, it tries to update my profile and this message eventually pops up on my screen:

Error

The profile update could not be

completed. Please try again later.

If the problem persists, you may

need to contact Customer Service.

Error: Internal Error (407)

Maybe that helps to pinpoint the issue?  Thanks again.

-Nate

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @njvannuys

I'm pleased that we have narrowed it down to the handset.

Forgive me for asking, but what is the Sprint, is that the handset you are using?

It could well be the route cause, if it wasn't unlocked.

Richard

🙂

Investigator

Sprint was my carrier (service provider) in the states.  In fact, when the phone boots up each time, it still shows the Sprint logo.  They unlocked the phone to some extent since I was able to switch over to EE in the first place, but the guy at T-mobile yesterday was mentioning that there are ways to fully and partially unlock a phone.  Something having to do with the APN utilized.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, 

I would suggest there are two issues here.

The firmware as you say is Sprint so it maybe they limit connectivity to just Sprints network frequencies.

The second is the hardware. I assume this is the G930F handset. It maybe the radio is on the specific to US and sprint networks.

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hello @njvannuys

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community today. Smiley Happy

As @Northerner has mentioned, I suspect that there may be some radio specifications that prevent you from using the EE network fully. For example, Sprint like Verizon is a CDMA network, where as EE and all U.K. networks like T-Mobile in the U.S. are GSM networks.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.