by jim1556
Explorer

Mobile data turned off but still receiving texts?

I travel through Europe quite a lot, currently working in Ivory Coast.

I'm a new customer to EE and like with my last provider, when travelling out of Europe I turn my mobile data OFF, just using Wi-Fi.

However, on arrival last night, I got a text from EE, later from a relative and this morning from my bank! Even though I confirmed several times my mobile data is off!

I've now put it in flight mode (but with Wi-Fi enabled) in the hope this stops as I don't want charging to receive texts out here (nor my relatives to be charged extra as they're in effect sending texts abroad.

Any ideas?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: Mobile data turned off but still receiving texts?

Good Morning @jim1556.

Welcome the community. 

If you switch mobile data off this does not stop the ability to receive text messages. Whilst you're in Ivory Coast you will not be charged to receive text messages however if you were to send a text message you would be charged the standard rate for roaming

If your family members are sending texts to your UK registered number I would ask them to confirm with their provider these texts are free. 

I hope this helps and you have a great new year!

Katie 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Good Morning @jim1556.

Welcome the community. 

If you switch mobile data off this does not stop the ability to receive text messages. Whilst you're in Ivory Coast you will not be charged to receive text messages however if you were to send a text message you would be charged the standard rate for roaming

If your family members are sending texts to your UK registered number I would ask them to confirm with their provider these texts are free. 

I hope this helps and you have a great new year!

Katie 🙂

by jim1556
Explorer

Thanks! 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Texts are not carried by mobile data, but by the ordinary voice network.

You are not charged for receiving texts anywhere in the world; only for sending them.

Any UK user of any UK network sending texts to your UK no. will be charged the same as if you were still in the UK, wherever you happen to be in the world. It's you that is roaming not them.

Is there a setting on your phone for turning Roaming (not Data Roaming) OFF?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.