by LFranchitti Contributor
Contributor

Misleading Information About Roaming on Max Plans

Hi there folks,

So I've been an EE customer on SIM-only for over a year, and have been very impressed with the overall service since joining. When my contract came up for renewal this year I wanted to switch from my SIM-only plan, to a new SIM-only plan with more data, which was one of the new 4G "Max" plans. I had specifically asked on the phone about the roaming options as I do travel frequently, occasionally to Europe but mostly the US, I wanted to know exactly what my roaming options were for each country. As of course I was aware as part of the plan that you could use your existing data allowance in Europe up to a fair usage policy of 15GB. They told me that when outside of Europe I could still use the £4/day and £5/day Travel Data Pass options for the other available countries to use 500mb/day. Turns out that this wasn't actually the case as when I texted the number to activate it, it just gave back an automated repsonse saying that it 'wasn't available on my price plan'. Afterwards I decided to try the livechat for some clarification, they told me pretty much the same information as the advisor on the phone. I was told that I couldn't use the £3/day Travel Data Pass of course, logically, because the Max plans allow for EU calls, texts, and data, but they also told me like the other advisor that I could when outside of the EU use the £4/5/day options, which of course it's not allowing me to. Does anybody know why advisors are giving misleading information and why for some reason on the most expensive plans, customers aren't allowed access to reasonable roaming rates? It doesn't make sense to offer people free roaming inside of Europe and then charge standard rates outside of Europe to pretty much all customers despite listing the daily 500mb/day service for outside of Europe as people do go outside of the EU, and, giving no clarification on why customers can't access cheaper roaming rates, and which plans can and can't access them. It just seems pretty confusing and illogical to me and I imagine most others. 

Screenshot of a livechat session where I asked about this

3 REPLIES 3
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Misleading Information About Roaming on Max Plans

Hi @LFranchitti,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I'm very sorry to hear that you have been given incorrect information regarding the compatibility of the Travel Data Pass with your price plan.

Travel Data Pass is available to customers on selected EE Pay Monthly Regular, Extra, Essential and Sharer consumer plans.

Travel Data Pass is not currently available to customers on 4GEE plans and Max Plans, mobile broadband/Mobile Wi-Fi plans or pay as you go packs.

Please get in touch with our customer service team and they'll look into why you were given incorrect information and see if it's possible to move you to a price plan that better suits your needs.

Thanks

James

by LFranchitti Contributor
Contributor

@James_B wrote:

Hi @LFranchitti,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I'm very sorry to hear that you have been given incorrect information regarding the compatibility of the Travel Data Pass with your price plan.

Travel Data Pass is available to customers on selected EE Pay Monthly Regular, Extra, Essential and Sharer consumer plans.

Travel Data Pass is not currently available to customers on 4GEE plans and Max Plans, mobile broadband/Mobile Wi-Fi plans or pay as you go packs.

Please get in touch with our customer service team and they'll look into why you were given incorrect information and see if it's possible to move you to a price plan that better suits your needs.

Thanks

James

So if it's not available on "4GEE" or "Max" plans, what new plans is it available on then? The only "regular" plans top out at 1GB/data limited to 20mb/s data speed, so basically what you're saying is that you can only have a limit of 1GB UK data if you want to access reasonable roaming rates abroad? Where is the logic in this? I'm just not seeing how that makes sense. And why isn't the Travel Data Pass available to Max customers?

by
EE Employee

Hi @LFranchitti

I understand your frustration with this incompatibility but I certainly will pass any feedback over to the relevant departments.

Many thanks,

Lee 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.