by Tomasti Contributor
Contributor

Max Plan Roaming Speeds

I changed from Three to an EE 4G Max plan last year and have been very pleased with it. 

However, this week I seem to be having issues with speed. I'm in Austria working, connected to T Mobile AT, showing 4g but clearly the speeds are being throttled at 2mb down. Also tested 3 AT with same results. No issues in Paris last week with lightening fast 4G+. 

I have looked for a partner list for 4g roaming partners but can't find one any where. 

23 REPLIES 23
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Max Plan Roaming Speeds

@Tomasti  Youll get the fastest network speeds offered from the network your connected too.  While EE say you’ll get the fastest speeds possible that speed is not controlled by EE.  

by Profile closed
Not applicable

The networks do ultimately control the speeds whilst roaming.  EE Max plans are not speed capped though at 2Mbps in the USA.  I was seeing ~40Mbps in Chicago last year.

There is a whole debate breaking out at the minute though with UK mobile networks throttling roaming data speeds in Europe.  OFCOM are investigating both Vodafone and Three, so I suspect EE and O2 will also be put under the spot light as well.

by Tomasti Contributor
Contributor

From the recent experience, obviously not all networks are capping speeds. Hence why I mentioned Paris being excellent just last week. The fact that I pay for un-throttled speeds abroad, and there's no list of partners, AND I'm clearly being throttled is bloody irritating though. 

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Tomasti Try roaming onto another network if it wil let you and see if that's any better.

by Tomasti Contributor
Contributor

Tried that. All topping out around 2mb regardless of Network/profile. 

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

The 2Mbit/s speed throttling is completely controlled by EE despite what people say. If you do complain to EE please let us know what happens.

by Tomasti Contributor
Contributor

Just spoken with CS. Apparently T Mobile AT is the official 4g roaming partner. Usual advice try switching on and off etc. But apparently I'm defo NOT having my speed throttled and if its showing 4g I'm getting 4g and it must be network congestion! 😂 Do me a favour.

Im pretty sure this is going to be one of these issues that won't get resolved. The steering of the conversation throughout was to blame the roaming partner. Of which I was constantly reminded they have no control over. 

Bottom line, I'm paying for a max Plan and not getting what I'm paying for. I might as well not have it at all, since I'm getting the same speeds as a normal 4g plan on roaming. Pretty poor.  

by Tomasti Contributor
Contributor

Just so we're absolutely clear... There's no throttling going on 😂😂😂👍

Screenshot_20180312-105504_Speedtest.jpg

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@Tomasti I suggest you raise an offical complaint about this, if you havn't already done so; as the more people that complain and raise this issue, the better chance EE may do something about this.

I'd also consider contacting OFCOM about this as well.  Whilst OFCOM won't respond to direct complaints, raising this issue with them gives them more evidence, this is turn gives them a stronger case against all the UK mobile networks.

OFCOM are already looking at Vodafone and Three over this issue when roaming in Europe, so perhaps they need to be looking at EE as well.

by Tomasti Contributor
Contributor

I made a complaint. Classic nothing we can do answer. 'Network congestion'. Absolute rubbish. I could post pics of I'm depth signal analysis also but I don't wanto bore everyone to death since the issue is fairly obvious to all. 

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

If you have a rooted android phone you can see the limits set by EE when roaming.

by Tomasti Contributor
Contributor

Interesting! Would be handy. I haven't rooted a phone for a few years now. Using an s8+, not worth rooting with the knox etc. Need to keep some resale value in it lol. 

by bkehoe
Explorer

I exhausted the avenues available to me through EE support about this last year including an escalation to second level support who them pretty much said they could do nothing as I was no longer in the same country as when I made the complaint (it took several days for them to pick up the case). I've had this issue every single time I've been in Spain, Germany, Belgium, Poland, Czech Rep, and sometimes in Ireland. 

I always enjoyed very fast roaming 4G speeds for the 4 years I've been an EE customer, and changed to a 4GEE Max sim only plan in September. Since then I get a consistent 2MBit max when roaming. The best bit is that I've been side by side with a friend who's also an EE customer but on an older plan who'll be getting 40, 50MBit while I'm getting 2Mbit. Same network, same cell even. EE Support couldn't explain this one!!! 

Back in the UK I get the same full speeds I've always received. Its just when roaming that its a miserable 2MBit maximum. 

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

I thought I'd phone tech support this afternoon. It didn't go well.

I was told things like EE don't throttle, EE can't throttle. it's the other network, You're on a max plan, so you can't be throttled, etc. The usual lines you expect.

I asked about non max plans being throttled and was told what's that got to do with it, I'm on a max plan. Asked how EE throttle non max plans when I was just told EE don't have the ability to throttle, and just got defensive about how he didn't understand the point as i'm not on a non max plan. The 2meg limit is set by the roaming network and it's just coincidence that all the networks where it happens have set the same limit, EE can't set the AMBR values when roaming. yada yada yada

It's similar to a billing issue I had where EE couldn't accept I was being over charged. It took escalations and the exec office to get it resolved, and months of effort.

EE support are usually quite good with the standard issues, but deviate slightly to something a bit more technical and they seem to have no willingness to even accept there may be an issue and the customer may be right. Whilst this has probably more to do with wanting to terminate the call and move on to the next one, there needs to be a way to get issues passed through to a dept that is willing to spend the time investigating.

by Tomasti Contributor
Contributor

Interesting. Im on exactly the same sort of plan as you. Clearly they are stiffing us. Ofcom here I come! Did you report your issue to them?

by bkehoe
Explorer

I was told by the second level support that there was no further escalation possible and that they had no option other than to close the case. Got all the same lines about how they can’t and don’t throttle yet couldn’t explain why another EE account gets 50MBit at the same time, same network, same phone (eveb swapped SIM cards to prove it). They claimed they refreshed my account settings on the system but to no avail. I was told that there was no shortcut back to second level support and that if I wished to reopen the case I’d have to jump through the hoops of basic pointless tasks such as switching on and off my phone, etc, with the normal support to open a new case which I really don’t have time to do. 

I am 100% certain that whatever way my Sim Only MAX plan is provisioned has resulted in a 2MBit roaming data limit. Whether this is deliberate or an oversight it appears impossible to get EE to investigate the issue and I’m happy to have found this post as I suspected I couldn’t be the only person with this issue. I use data roaming several days a week so may end up forced to switch network if no improvement is forthcoming. 

by Tomasti Contributor
Contributor

I think ik we need to look closely at our service agreements to see if there's any breach here. As we have been sold a product that they are not delivering. The 3rd party network provider is no concern of Ours , EE responsibility is to provide us with the service they have sold us within reason.

I'm in Amsterdam at the end of this month, so will conduct further tests and screen shots. 

by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

Here is the roaming partners list:

http://ee.co.uk/content/dam/ee-help/help-pdfs/4g-networks-lte-footprint-5-october-2017.pdf

And yes I've seen it here, Digital Spy and myself last year in Portugal of 2mbit/s throttling on a Max plan.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Whilst I don't believe EE are trying to deliberately mislead customers, it's obvious there is a problem but there's an unwillingness from EE to accept there may be something wrong somewhere and investigate.

It's far too easy for EE to spout the line about speeds being down the roaming network and it's not EEs fault. It's a great get out that means they can just blame any throttling on the partner network and EE have nothing to do with it, and close off any complaint.

Even when you can prove there's a 2Mbit/s limit being set you are just told it is set by the local network and not EE, as EE can't throttle.

Quite frustrating, and hard to prove when EE don't even want to engage in a conversation about it.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.