by Benghazi69 Investigator
Investigator

Make a call abroad (EU) is now from 15 June more costly on pay-as-you-go - why?

Hi All,

I'm on a pay as you go Orange Dolphin.

I've been using my phone mostly in Italy and Malta (EU) where I used to pay just 4p/min for a call (1p for a text and 3p/MB for data) until the 15th of June.

On this date I've noticed that the charge increased ten-fold: it now costs some 40p/min for a call, that is the same price of using the phone in the UK for a call.

So basically using my phone abroad was cheaper before the 15th of June and is now as costly as using it in the UK!

Anyone could suggest if there is a way/tariff much cheaper and similar to the one I used to enjoy before 15th June???

Many thanks!

Cheers

F

6 REPLIES 6
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: Make a call abroad (EU) is now from 15 June more costly on pay-as-you-go - w

Hello @Benghazi69 you can buy these extras by texting the relevant code to 6610 or 6620:

Minutes:

MINS 1 - 25 minutes to use until midnight (UK time) for £1.

100 MINSWEEK - 100 minutes for 7 days for £3.

100MINS - 100 minutes for 30 days for £5

Texts:

TEXTS 1 - 50 texts to use until midnight (UK time) for £1.

3000 TEXTSWEEK - 3000 texts for 7 days for £3.

3000 TEXTS - 3000 texts for 30 days for £5.

Data:

500 MBWEEK - 500mb for 7 days for £3.

1 GB - 1gb for 30 days for £5.

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Make a call abroad (EU) is now from 15 June more costly on pay-as-you-go - w

Those new EU charges are for outside your UK allowance. You still get your allowances free just for the cost of your UK PAYG bundles.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Employee

Great info @XRaySpeX and @Profile closed Smiley Happy

Hi @Benghazi69

You can now use all your allowances in the EU and you can in UK.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

Investigator

Hi Karen/Tom/XRay

Many thanks for the info.

I may be wrong as I'm not used to allowances/bundles but I used to top up say £5 before and it could last months and months for both calls and data with no time limit, now these allowances expire after a given time (a week/a month).

It was great (no need to text to buy allowances and remember their time and amount limits) and very cheap before (4p for a call any time vs 40p now!), and it's a bit sad and strange to see a tariff decuplicate overnight. Was it because of the EU Directive equalling domestic and abroad call costs??

I was a huge fan before as I just topped up and had not to remember when I topped up and how much was left - and enjoy the time abroad with no worry - now with the allowances I'll find it a bit difficult to adapt...

All the best

Cheers

F

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @Benghazi69 yes this is because of the European Unions decision to scrap roaming charges in the EU.

There is still no time limit on actual credit just any extras purchased. 🙂

Investigator

Hi Tom

I think you would agree with me it is somewhat bizarre that it WAS CHEAPER to make a call in the EU before the EU law came into force than it is now?

Why was it so so cheap before and why has not EE left the tariff unchanged after 15th June?? Don't you think it is a bit unfair toward customers to see such a spike in the tariff, altough this is perfectly consistent with the EU law that charges should be the same abroad and in the UK?

F

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.