Highlighted
by mushman Investigator
Investigator

Landing in Germany with new PAYG SIM. Will it activate?

Hello, all.

I have a new, loaded, but as yet non-activated PAYG 4G SIM card.

I plan to use during a trip through Europe, but my first port of entry will be Germany so I would like to be sure that EE roaming service will be activated when I use it for the first time.

Earlier, I tried setting up an EE account to manage things but that would mean activating the SIM to receive an SMS code and I don't want to do that just yet, and so, will activation and roaming succeed when I fire up the SIM for the first time, or must it be activated in the UK?

Thanks in advance.

mushman

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Landing in Germany with new PAYG SIM. Will it activate?

@mushman   The sim has to be in a device to activate as it needs to have a signal.   This can not be done on a roaming network as it will not receive the instructions to activate it has to be in the UK.  

5 REPLIES 5
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @mushman

EE pay as you go sim can be active instantly when you put in your phone most of time and roaming on pay as go always pre activate.

Hopefully you can use it without any issues. 

Thanks 

by mushman Investigator
Investigator

Hi.

Thanks for the quick response.

Here's hoping that my experience will fall under "most of the time".

mushman
by Grand Master
Grand Master

EE SIMs need to be 1st used on the EE UK network.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by mushman Investigator
Investigator

Thanks.

It was loaded upon purchasing. Doesn't that count as activation?
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@mushman   The sim has to be in a device to activate as it needs to have a signal.   This can not be done on a roaming network as it will not receive the instructions to activate it has to be in the UK.  

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.