by ChrisJohn Contributor
Contributor

Lack of 4G service in Iceland

I have just spent a week on a boat circumnavigating Iceland. Only once has my phone connected to an EE 4G roaming partner network. My wife who has the identical phone and same settings has been connecting to a 4G service everywhere.  The only difference is that I am with EE and she is with a competitor (think gas we need to live). Why does EE not connect to a 4G network?  Searching networks always shows a suitable 4G service but my EE SIM never connects to it.  I have not been able to get any internet service on my phone all week except in one remote location. Not even in the capital can I get a 4G service with EE.  What's the point of paying for a premium service if it is restricted to 2G?

10 REPLIES 10
by ChrisJohn Contributor
Contributor

Re: Lack of 4G service in Iceland

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the issues are still the same. I am now at the airport hotel due to fly home tomorrow. My wife's Xperia XZ is connected to Vodafone-Giffgaff and has full mobile data and internet access whilst I am connected to NOVA IS-EE with no mobile data or internet access. In some parts for Iceland my connection has been Vodafone-EE but never with mobile data access. The only time I got a 4G connection was in a fairly remote fishing community in the north west. That worked brilliantly as a hot spot for my laptop. On the ship internet access was expensive and slow (satellite), hence my disappointment at lack of mobile data service on EE Roaming. Everything was enabled and checked out before we left home.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ChrisJohn  EE doesn’t control what networks provide in other countries in the area your at.  EE has an agreement with that network to provide a signal to you and that’s it.  If that roaming network is poor in a particular area that is out of EEs control.  EE has no control over how a roaming network  infrastructure set up.  And seeing as you say you’ve been on a boat then just perhaps you’ve been out of range from that roaming networks signal reach. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

But the wife isn't! On the same boat with the same phone.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

There does seem to be issues roaming on EE in Iceland. Have a look at a recent thread, Roaming in Iceland , with a solution of getting EE to refresh the network settings from their end.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Employee

Hi @ChrisJohn and welcome to the community.

After following the link provided by @XRaySpeX are you still experiencing issues whilst roaming in Iceland?

As I may be able to assist further.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Have you spoken to EE to refresh your network settings from their end?

by ChrisJohn Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your advice.  No I didn't think to call EE and as I am returning home in the morning i won't bother this time. It's a pity that EE isn't more proactive if they know that there is a problem. The fact that it worked OK on one occasion made me think that it was a local network issue rather than the settings at the UK end. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ChrisJohn  Networks don’t really try and get signals beyond land mass it’s only there because the mast points in a 360 direction and just so happens to reach out beyond land mass.  How far out to sea was you.  ? 

by
EE Employee

No problems @ChrisJohn

You know where we are if you need any further help 🙂

Many thanks,

Lee

by ChrisJohn Contributor
Contributor

In most cases I was trying to connect when in harbour, not out at sea.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.