by JRYAN_UK
Explorer

Is it cheaper to buy an international sim instead of buying a travel data pass?

I'm moving to China for a year and I was wondering what the best and cheapest way around using data there. I can't afford to pay off my reminaing contract, which is for another 12 months, to start a new one. The travel data pass is to use 500mb per day for £5.  I will no doubt use data every day at some point so I don't really want to have to pay £5 per day to use data, that I believe is excessive. Purchasing a new international sim only has been for maximum, £15 per month for 3GB. This is clearly cheaper than paying £5 per day. However, I will need around 8GB per month which i can imagine will cost a lot more than £15 a month, especially on top of my existing contract which is £30 a month. 

Is there another way of using data abroad cheaply or am I going to have to shed out a fortune?

5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Is it cheaper to buy an international sim instead of buying a travel data pa

Hi, 

Best way is to unlock your phone and use a local sim, especially if you are staying for that long. If not and whichever option you take then your data will be expensive. 

You can check the roaming costs here

Thanks, 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Is it cheaper to buy an international sim instead of buying a travel data pa

The International SIM is no use to you. It's only for making International calls from the UK, not for using abroad.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Employee

Hi @JRYAN_UK

Hope the above advice given by @Northerner and @XRaySpeX has helped with your query.

Many thanks,

Lee 

by JRYAN_UK
Explorer

So there is no other way of getting an add on or a sim to use abroad in China? 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No other way! EE's roaming add-ons are designed for users normally resident in UK who just go abroad on holidays or business trips. Best to unlock it as suggested by @Northerner.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.