by ezfer Contributor
Contributor

In Portugal - no service

My EE smartphone showing no service despite receiving welcome text when arrived here and using abroad successfully last year. My old flip phone is showing service. I've checked all settings I can - suspect something changed when allowed to use packs in EU. Causing me big problems as can't receive text to verify online banking and location services not working unless on WiFi. Please can you help? If you want me to private message phone number I can but will need to tell me how to do!
13 REPLIES 13
by ezfer Contributor
Contributor

In Portugal - no service

My EE smartphone showing no service despite receiving welcome text when arrived here and using abroad successfully last year. My old flip phone is showing service. I've checked all settings I can - suspect something changed when allowed to use packs in EU. Causing me big problems as can't receive text to verify online banking and location services not working unless on WiFi. Please can you help? If you want me to private message phone number I can but will need to tell me how to do!

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: In Portugal - no service

Hi @ezfer Can you log into MyEE and see if roaming is enabled, under manage my device?

Have you tried a manual network search as well? Try selecting NOS. If that doesn't work, disable 4G and try again?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, 

If you have upgraded since you last used the phone abroad then roaming will be deactivated. 

You need to call EE and ask them to activate roaming. If you cannot call and are an EE pay monthly customer., then you can use EE live chat function under the EE section of the contact us page here. (click on the cross next to EE and the live chat function will be visible.) live chat will be available tomorrow from 8 am UK time. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by ezfer Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for replies. I haven't upgraded but think somehow new ability to use in EU changed things? I can't find anywhere to check whether roaming enabled in Manage Device when I log into EE. I can't seem to disable 4G and searching manually for network says 'error searching'. I pay monthly but not contract so may not be able to use live chat. I can try calling 150 from Old phone - does this still work from abroad and what is cost?

by ezfer Contributor
Contributor

spoke to EE from my old phone - they called me back when I said I didn't have much credit. As I can't search manually for networks may be sim card or handset problem. so doesn't look like I'll get working in Portugal now...
by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @ezfer

Thanks for coming here.

Are you with us on pay as you go or contract?

Thanks 🙂

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Getting error searching when doing a manual search is odd, you should still see a list of local networks.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

by ezfer Contributor
Contributor

Pay as you Go. Yes, support said odd that couldn't search for network. Has been like it for a few days - sure it was all working ok when we first came to Portugal. So apparently probably SIM or handset problem but don't know why would suddenly start. Everything else working ok.

by

Hi @ezfer,

Did you speak to the technical team?

Thanks

James

by ezfer Contributor
Contributor

Yes, spoke to 2nd line support in the end who couldn't help. I've come to the conclusion, rightly or wrongly, that SIM card fried by power spike or similar in one of our overnight accommodations - could find my location all the time on Google Maps until then but not the next day or since. And it was an out of the way place, quite likely to have been 'off grid'. Would this make sense? I can't check until I get back to UK but am hoping then that new SIM will fix.... Until then I am having to manage with WiFi only...

by
EE Employee

Hi @ezfer

Please do let us know how you get back on your return to the UK.

Many thanks,

Lee

by ezfer Contributor
Contributor

Took phone to EE store on my return to UK and they said wasn't Sim card so I have ended up with new phone and now on contract rather than PAYG. Seems possible that power surge fried antenna but haven't really had explanation. Apparently won't be covered by warranty although phone only just over 1 year old (Samsung galaxy J5). Will take surge protector with me when I travel in future!

by

Hello there @ezfer

Thanks for the update.

Have you contacted Samsung at all?

It may be worth getting in touch with them as the manufacturer and seeing if they can do anything for you.

Thanks. Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.