by Linda999 Investigator
Investigator

In Corfu but my husband has connected to Albanian network - will he be charged

In Corfu but my husband has connected to Albanian network - will he be charged - he's been on it all day and now we're panicking 

11 REPLIES 11
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: In Corfu but my husband has connected to Albanian network - will he be charg

Hello @Linda999 Albania is not included in the new EE free EU roaming and although you will not be charged just for connecting to an Albanian network any usage will be charged at the roaming rates:

http://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/call-or-going-abroad/roaming-costs/countries/albania

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: In Corfu but my husband has connected to Albanian network - will he be charg

@Linda999  turn the data off asap.  the cheapest data deal is £5 for 20 Meg for 24 hours.   you could use this within minutes.   if you don't have a data bundle its going to cost, I hate to think what it would cost.  all i can say is its going to cost more than £5 for 20Meg.

by Linda999 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for your reply. I've switched his carrier to the same as mine Cosmote -as my phone said welcome to Greece but his said Albania.i thought with Ee you couldn't run up charges and had to buy bundles - is this not right?

Sent from my iPhone
by Linda999 Investigator
Investigator

@Tom222 wrote:

Hello @Linda999 Albania is not included in the new EE free EU roaming and although you will not be charged just for connecting to an Albanian network any usage will be charged at the roaming rates:

http://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/call-or-going-abroad/roaming-costs/countries/albania

🙂

Hi - thank you for helping. Ok I think we're going to get hit with a 20 minute phone bill. But the link you attached implies he couldn't use data without a bundle 'to stop high bills'. He was never asked to buy a bundle so why can he use the internet. Sorry if I'm sounding stupid - I just don't want this spoiling our holiday .thank you again 

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @Linda999 is this an EE, T-Mobile or Orange plan? Data can not be used without an active data allowance or add on on 4GEE (EE) plans no. It is possible to use data without an add on on some legacy T-Mobile and Orange plans. 🙂

by Linda999 Investigator
Investigator

Thank you again. He was Vodafone but switched to Ee so hopefully will be ok.

The carrier showed as Wind- which I understand is a Greek carrier but his phone said welcome to Albania - I might be worrying over nothing
Do you know how to find which country your phone thinks you're in?
Thanks again ps shouldn't you be 😴

Sent from my iPhone
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @Linda999 you can not really tell apart from the network you are using. Epecially near borders it is possible to roam on to a network in another country. Charges go by the network used not physical location, if the phone was connected to a Greek network at the time then the call should be charged as a call from Greece.  🙂

by Linda999 Investigator
Investigator

You've been extremely helpful - thank you

Sent from my iPhone
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Linda999,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I can see you've had some great advice from @Profile closed. Smiley Happy

You can check your bill in My EE if you want to put your mind at ease.

Have a great holiday!

James

by Profile closed
Not applicable

You are welcome @Linda999 come back to the community anytime if there is anything else you would like to know. 🙂

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi Linda,

It's a situation similar to travelling in Northern Ireland near the "border" back in the days of non-free EU roaming, your phone could catch an Irish network and you'd be getting charged without you knowing.

As far as I know Wind (the Greek network) does not have a presence in Albania, so the "welcome" message could have been momentary connection to an Albanian network, before connecting to Wind again. 

In any case, EE should have a data roaming cap in place (that's usually £40), so you should not be able to spend more than that if your data was allowed to be used outside the EU (unless of course you have disabled that cap).

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.