by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Improvement for contacting Customer Service from abroad

To Mods: Sorry I entered this post in the 'Calls' forum by mistake, it should go under 'Roaming' instead, thank you.

Reading the forum, it's easy to see that perhaps the most common problem with roaming is that a customer goes abroad and only then they discover their phone does not work there. 
Reasons could either be because of EE's or customer's fault. It's not important who to blame, as much as how to solve the problem and get the customer roaming access while they are already abroad with limited resources. Not everyone can afford an international call from another phone, and even in our connected world it's likely we may not have immediate access to a WiFi AP to connect to live chat.

It sounds like EE could do something to help customers in such situations and make their lives easier.

It wouldn't be too difficult or costly to EE to give free access to 150 from abroad - perhaps even only to a particular option to deal with roaming problems. 

Alternatively, they could add functionality to the MyEE app to make it able to use any roaming data network to connect to live chat customer services for this particular reason.

Just some suggestions on how to make customers' lives easier and less stressful.

14 REPLIES 14
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Improvement for contacting Customer Service from abroad

@DonDino: Moved for you.

You can use the Freephone no. in my sig. over Skype for free.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@DonDino  To call 150 from abroad you need roaming enabled to make the call.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Chris_B: But would you need roaming enabled if the call to 150 was free? You can already receive texts for free even with roaming disabled. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

EE should make it known it is not enabled from start.

My Three contract States in the My3 account that it is not enabled and to click here to enable etc.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@BrendonH wrote:

My Three contract States in the My3 account that it is not enabled and to click here to enable etc.

Well my EE contract had Roaming enabled from the start, it showed as enabled on MyEE online account from day 1. It appears that only certain customers don't have it initially enabled.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@DonDino wrote:

@BrendonH wrote:

Well my EE contract had Roaming enabled from the start, it showed as enabled on MyEE online account from day 1. It appears that only certain customers don't have it initially enabled.

Yes depends on your credit score etc with EE.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by
EE Employee

Hi @DonDino

Thanks for the feedback!

We've done a lot of work over the last few years with Roaming - creating community posts and improving our Help pages.

You can now text ROAMING to 150 to check if it's active on your account before you travel.

Roaming does require an additional credit check which is why some customers have it active straight away and others don't.

It also shows your Roaming status in MY EE.

The issue with calling 150 from abroad is not because it's charged for but if roaming isn't active - you have no access to a network to be able to make the call.

We will continue to share all feedback to help improve the service as much as we can.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

The problem with community posts and help pages is people only read them when they have a problem - i.e. when they are abroad and can't get their phone to work.

EE are quite happy to send out BT Football spam texts to everyone. Why they can't send a text saying "Going Abroad? Text ROAMING to 150 before you go to check if you're all set up" or something similar I have no idea.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Karen_C wrote:

The issue with calling 150 from abroad is not because it's charged for but if roaming isn't active - you have no access to a network to be able to make the call.

Then how come you can receive texts, which also need access to a network?

by
EE Employee

Hi @christery

We did a text campaign last spring/summer - with something very similar so hopefully there will be another one this year!

@XRaySpeX

The only time you can receive texts is if Roaming is active but the International/Premium bar is also still active on your account.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Karen_C: I feel sure I've seen users abroad report they can't make or receive calls, send texts or use data but they do receive texts incl. EE's Welcome text on landing in the country.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Karen_C wrote:

@XRaySpeX

The only time you can receive texts is if Roaming is active but the International/Premium bar is also still active on your account.

Indeed, this is one solution to the problem, make roaming universally active for all, but apply call barring when abroad for those customers who you wish to credit check or get a deposit from (instead of deactivating roaming completely), this way they would still be able to call 150 from abroad if it is free.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

@DonDino: Moved for you.

You can use the Freephone no. in my sig. over Skype for free.

Thanks @XRaySpeX.

Having a freephone number is very good, and ringing it from Skype is good advice.

However, this number is not advertised in the Contact Us page of the EE website (where most people will look for a way to contact EE). All that's there is a UK mobile number. 
Current advice I see in this forum to 'stranded' travellers to call this mobile number from another (foreign) line is advice that I don't think should be given. People who do not have VoIP solutions or Skype credit and will rely on hotel phones or perhaps friends' local mobiles are I would argue still a majority, and using a normal phone abroad to call a UK mobile number can be very expensive - there should be a free (or very very cheap) way for someone to contact EE from abroad, not an extortionate one (of course the extortionate bit is the foreign telecoms providers' fault, not EE's, but still).

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @DonDino

Thank you for the feedback.

We will continue to share all feedback to help improve the service as much as we can.

Cheers

Richard

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.