by emtee
Explorer

I'm on £5 Everything pack - what are the roaming costs in USA

I'm going to the USA for two weeks, and I'm a bit confused over roaming charges. I'm on the £5/m Everything pack - I'm assuming this is classed as an "EE Pay Monthly" scheme (although I also used to pay monthly for my old PAYG).

The only mentions are for EE Pay Monthly and EE Pay As You Go … and the Pay Monthly doesn't say how much it costs to receive a text (whereas PAYG is free).

I'm very unlikely to use it in the USA, but I want to be prepared. 

So: what is the cost on the "£5 Everything Pack" to receive a text and how/when is this collected?

And is there are way of mitigating against huge costs such as buying an expansion of some sort? I see that there is a World Select Talk and Text expansion for £6 A DAY (actually there are two different ones, but I can't see the difference), but that is likely to far outweigh any costs.

It's all as clear as mud.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: I'm on £5 Everything pack - what are the roaming costs in USA

If you have a Everything pack you are not on a Pay Monthly contract but PAYG.

Your pack is not valid outside the EU. Charges in USA will be as https://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/call-or-going-abroad/roaming-costs/countries/usa under the PAYG tab.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

If you have a Everything pack you are not on a Pay Monthly contract but PAYG.

Your pack is not valid outside the EU. Charges in USA will be as https://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/call-or-going-abroad/roaming-costs/countries/usa under the PAYG tab.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by emtee
Explorer

So I pay monthly, but I'm not on a Pay Monthly contract. And I'm on "Pay as you Go" even though I'm not paying as and when I need.

My Orange PAYG was simple - I just paid as I needed, and calls would come out of those funds, and I topped up as and when.

So with my £5 I get 100m of calls, 250 texts and 150MB of data - which is far more than I use (EE coverage in my area is poor and often fails) … so where does the cost of roaming come from? Do I have to top-up the £5, or does it come out of the £5?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@emtee   You’ll need credit on your account to pay for calls /text in the US  If you want a standard PAYG like you had with Orange you can,  to do this just text STOP PACK to 150.  Once your current pack ends you’ll be on a standard PAYG tariff. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, with Pay Monthly you a committed to paying every month for the duration of the contract. With PAYG, as you have, you are buying a pack every month but you don't have to. You can choose to stop it any time; its not an ongoing contract. Then it will be more like your old Orange PAYG.

All EE PAYG SIMs come primed with a recurring Pack of allowances ready to bought out of your PAYG credit as soon as it is sufficient. Your top-ups have gone to buy this Pack.

By texting AL to 150 it should show you the Pack you have bought with your credit & how much you have left from your allowances until its expiry date.

Text STOP PACK to 150 before you next top-up & you can use the SIM as normal PAYG at standard per-unit rates.

Your Pack of allowances is useless in USA. You need to top-up & keep a credit balance to pay for your usage there at the charges I pointed you to.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.