by guildfordgirl
Explorer

I can't make calls from USA to UK despite buying a Roam Further add on.

I purchased a Roam Further pass in the UK . Upon arrival I received 3 welcome texts from EE - the first confirming that I had a Go Further pass "which means you can call.. within the USA or back to the UK and use your data... as you would in the UK". The second text gave instructions about selecting a network. The third text (which seemed contradictory) said "while you're here costs include calls £1.20/min...". Whenever I try to make a call to the UK, however, I get the message: "the call you are attempting to place is not allowed from this line". Can anyone help me, as I need to call my elderly parents' landline in the UK - they do not have a mobile or internet.

The only network available is AT&T. I have tried: turning airplane mode on and off; switching the device on and off; changing networks; switching to 3G - all to no avail.

9 REPLIES 9
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: I can't make calls from USA to UK despite buying a Roam Further add on.

If on contract, did you activate roaming on your EE a/c before you left UK?

Often just rebooting the phone is the simple remedy. Otherwise try logging into your My EE account online & go to Menu / Manage Device / Roaming Abroad and also Call Abroad and Premium rate. They will show as ticked if roaming and calling abroad is activated. If they are not ticked, can you activate these settings?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by guildfordgirl
Explorer

Thanks for your reply. I did get the add on before I left the uk. I rebooted but no change . Also checked as you suggested and roaming abroad and call abroad/ premium rate are all ticked and shown as allowed already.
Still not working . Anyone got any other suggestions?
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @guildfordgirl.

Welcome to the community.

Is there anyone else with you who is using a UK number without any trouble?

Has your phone worked abroad before?

Jon

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@guildfordgirl  Is data working?

EE had a roaming issue yesterday by all accounts and lots of people reported issues making calls to UK numbers. This appears to be fixed now.

by guildfordgirl
Explorer

Hi Jon ,

Thanks for your message.

I spent an hour chatting online yesterday with EE and my phone was blocked and that’s been removed. But I can’t call UK , and my family can’t either on their phones with EE . My husband has an O2 work phone and can use that to call.
I was told there is a roaming problem and EE engineers are trying to fix it - could take 72 hours. My husband’s EE phone hasn’t worked to call UK since we arrived 10 days ago. I was advised to keep trying to call! Hopefully, the problem will be fixed soon!

Guildford girl

Sent from my iPhone
by guildfordgirl
Explorer

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes data is working. I chatted online with EE and they said there is a problem making calls to uK and could take 72 hours to fix. I still can’t call this am. Hoping i can soon!!

Sent from my iPhone
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@guildfordgirl  A few weeks ago someone reported that they couldn't make calls from the USA with roam further when they had a spend cap set. Once removed, they could make calls.  Might be worth a try?

How do I set up and manage Spend Cap?

by guildfordgirl
Explorer

Thank you for your message. Yes that was part of the problem for me too. When I chatted online with EE they said there was a spend cap and once that was removed I should be able to call from US. I can now make calls but to the UK the line fails immediately after dialling! Same on my husband’s phone.

Sent from my iPhone
by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for the update @guildfordgirl

I would recommend getting back in touch with our Tech Gurus so they can take another look at this issue for you.

Please let us know how you get on.

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.