by cschmitt82 Investigator
Investigator

How does the Sharer SIM work?

Hi.

I'm wondering about the following scenarios under a 4G EE MAX primary plan in combination with a sharer phone SIM:

1) Primary in UK - sharer in Europe

2) Primary in UK - sharer in USA

3) Primary in Europe/USA - sharer in UK

In which of these cases will 4G work for the sharer SIM?

Thanks!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: How does the Sharer SIM work?

11 REPLIES 11
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @cschmitt82 shared plans only share the data allowance - each line still comes with its own minutes and texts allowances.

It does not matter where the lead is or the sharer, MAX plan data can be used across all sharers in all included countries. Minutes and texts allowances depend on whether the sharer is also on a MAX plan or not. 🙂

Investigator

Hi @Chris_B,

Thanks. Is this from experience? Somehow in the chat rooms I keep getting conflicting advice. Some say Sharer will only work in Europe (assuming primary in UK). Others say nothing will work. And again others say it will only work if both are in the same country...

Especially this last part worries me - say primary goes on business trip to USA, and sharer stays in UK. Would Sharer then be blocked from any 4G??

It sounds like you're very certain about your answer. Just curious about why chat "experts" keep providing conflicting information...

Thanks again!

Investigator

Hi @Profile closed,

Thanks for clarifying the difference between data and minutes/texts. That makes complete sense. 🙂

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @cschmitt82,

Welcome to the EE Community.

When did you take out your Max plan?

Thanks

James

Investigator

Hi @James_B,

Initially in the beginning of this year. A couple weeks ago I was told that USA is not included in these earlier MAX plans but that I could switch over to the new plan for a small added cost. I did this today and am now on a 15GB new MAX plan which I was told includes the USA (plus a few others) alongside Europe.

Thanks!

by

No problem @cschmitt82 Smiley Happy

You and any sharers will be able to use your new Max plan in the USA.

Thanks

James

Investigator

@James_B: And you can confirm what @Profile closed and @Chris_B already said: It does *not* matter whether the primary plan holder is in the same country as the sharer? Rather both can use data from the shared account when one them is in a foreign country?

Thanks again!

by

That's right @cschmitt82 Smiley Happy

Thanks to @Chris_B and @Profile closed for the great answers. Smiley Happy

James

by Quark999 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Unfortunately, if you are on a shared data SIM it doesn't seem to work AT ALL abroad. EU or US. EE can't figure out why.

Are you on a data sharer, tablet sharer or a "real" sharer SIM? You should be more lucky with the others.

If I had only known I would have taken out a tablet sharer SIM and paid 2£/month extra. Now that they don't exist anymore I can't switch so the data sharer is pretty much useless for me.

by Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

Yes, I originally (before Christmas) had data sharer SIMs on my 4G Max plan. They didn’t work abroad despite elevation to technical support and the Executive Office. After raising it a couple more times with the Executive Office, they replaced the sharer SIMs with Tablet sharer SIMS (which cost about £2 more per month, which was refunded to my account for the duration of the contract). They now all work in the EU.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.