by rbs_gb Investigator
Investigator

How do you roam in the EUfor more than 30 days without getting your sim blocked?

Hi,

I'm in Spain for 3 months. Everything was working fine. After 30 days, the phone stopped connecting to the networks, and a manual network check shows Movistar (Forbidden), Orange (Forbidden), Vodafone (Forbidden). I had an internet chat with Richie in Customer Services, he reprovisioned the sim, but still the lock is in place. I can occasionally connect to Yoigo, but the signal is so weak as to be unuseable. Richie tells me the sim needs to go back to the UK to revalidate its connection to the home network before roaming will work again.

So I'm faced with two months with my number, sim and my EE plan out of action, unless I go back to the UK? Are you serious? I never had this problem before free roaming!!

Thanks

Ray

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Employee
Solution

Re: How do you roam in the EUfor more than 30 days without getting your sim bloc

Hi and welcome to the community @rbs_gb

we have experienced roaming issues in the last day or two, please do turn your phone off and try a manual search and select Movistar.

How long have you currently been in Spain for and when did the issue start?

Many thanks,

Lee​​​​​​​

15 REPLIES 15
by
EE Employee
Solution

Re: How do you roam in the EUfor more than 30 days without getting your sim bloc

Hi and welcome to the community @rbs_gb

we have experienced roaming issues in the last day or two, please do turn your phone off and try a manual search and select Movistar.

How long have you currently been in Spain for and when did the issue start?

Many thanks,

Lee​​​​​​​

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Your UK allowance is only free to use in the EU as long as you have a stable link with UK, which means you are expected to spend at least 60 days in the UK in every 120 day period. It's all laid down in the T&Cs.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Employee

Hi @rbs_gb

@XRaySpeX is indeed correct.

Please bear in mind all EE plans are for people who are UK customers and travel to other countries on a short-term basis, not for people spending extended amounts of time abroad.

What this means is that if you’re spending 60 out of 120 days in the UK then an EE plan, and it’s inclusive roaming benefits, will be great for you.

If you’re out of the country for longer than 60 days then this may not be the best option.

Speeds will vary depending on the local network you are using at the time.

Many thanks,

Lee

by rbs_gb Investigator
Investigator

Hi Lee,

Apppreciate your welcome and reply. The problem started a couple of days ago, and I arrived on 29th November. Network selection was on Automatic and roaming had been working without any issues for about 30 days. It then would not connect to any network.

After Richie reprovisioned the SIM, I reset the phone, and the networks offered were all marked as "Prohibited". Up until now I was mostly connected to Orange ES. Following your comment I tried "Movistar (Prohibited)" and  that has connected. Curiously, the network also has changed from Movistar (Prohibited) to Movistar (LTE, 2G, 3G)

For the moment, fingers crossed, it is working 🙂

by
EE Employee

Hi @rbs_gb

We have had some issues the last few days with connecting to Orange ES.

The manual search has corrected these.

Many thanks,

Lee

by rbs_gb Investigator
Investigator

Hi XRaySpex. Thanks for that info, it is what I've found out today from Richie too. However, my question in the thread is still there. How do I use my phone without getting it blocked and having to return to the UK? I can accept my allowances not being continued, but it makes no sense to block the sim totally, does it? It is not unusual to be travelling for 3 months and my normal residence in the UK is well established as I've been with EE and Orange for more than ten years. So why block the sim completely?

Cheers

Ray

by
EE Employee

Hi @rbs_gb

You will be contacted before any action was due to take place to discuss the options available.

Many thanks,

Lee

by rbs_gb Investigator
Investigator

Hi Lee, thanks for that info on Orange ES. Fingers crossed 🙂 It sounds like whatever happens I'm going to fall foul of the 60 days in the last 120 rules...... so might be a short lived joy 🙂 Happy new year and thanks again for the input 🙂

by
EE Employee

Hi @rbs_gb

As mentioned above we will certainly contact you before any action takes place.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Strats Investigator
Investigator

I have just experienced the same problem.  I am currently in Spain and every available network is flagged as "Forbidden"  EE were quite happy to charge me for my monthly pack but i have no service?

Please advise

by
EE Employee

Hi @Strats and welcome to the community.

So I can try and help, please may I get you to perform a manual network search and choose a network other than what you are on.

Please, also can I get you to try and dial a friend or family member using the format of 00447********* and try using data. 

Did this work?

Many thanks,

Lee

by Strats Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for trying to help but sadly no joy, all available networks are listed (forbidden).

I have been in Spain for some time, so having read this thread presume that my sim may have been blocked.  If this is the case it would have been nice to have been advised before being barred and EE have just taken my money for a pack that I cant use?

by
EE Employee

Hi @Strats

Here in the community, we do not have any account access.

To have this looked into please speak to customer services from an alternative phone.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Strats Investigator
Investigator

Thanks Lee will do.

by
EE Employee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.